Freelance 2015-1
Hard to believe the changes that this layout has gone through in six months. Nope Icon_lol

Without a doubt, Reinhard is showing us just what you can do and how much you can re-invent a layout without ripping up all the trackwork and benchwork. There is a lesson there for all of us. I guess in some ways model railroading really is like theatre, the outer parameters still stay the same but the actors can change locale and period, and yes even scale. Thumbsup Worship

Keep it up Reinhard, we watch this thread in amazement as we never know what will happen next. Popcornbeer

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
If it wasn't for Reinhard's excellent modeling, it wouldn't be coming to this site every day!!!!
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Thank you for the kind comments.
Reinhard
Have to agree with Andy. I look forward every day to seeing what you've done on your layout. Since I'm having to look into coming up with a slightly smaller switching layout, I've found the idea of periodically changing industries, perhaps even themes, an interesting concept. Keep up the great work!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
We are back from vacation and my brain did not run idle all the time although most time Wink

I did some time ago this industry inspired by a Purina facility in Jefferson, Wi. Those line is a former CNW line and became a stub line operated by UP. Justin Kreklow posted lots of photos of that line in FB. I was attracted by the short trains matching a small layout ver well.
[Image: IMG_4045_zpsac7dxjun.jpg]

Problem is that the Purina facility is to much Wisconsin and far to less Florida. I had to remove it and will work on a new industry that fits better into todays layout. I am not talking about hard facts of a kind of industry fitting into a specific state, there may be ten Purina plants in Florida, by about feeling respectively imagination if it looks right to me.
[Image: IMG_4197_zps7cm4kw1f.jpg]

I consider to try something like this (Ocala FL, NE Osceola Ave) but with the track in place and the loading ramp still in use.
https://www.google.de/maps/@29.189464,-8...56!6m1!1e1
Reinhard
Reinhard
If it's going to be same kind of industry using grain why not put the silos from your General Mills structure in it. Just "change the name(s) to protect the innocent." >)
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
lajry Wrote:Reinhard
If it's going to be same kind of industry using grain why not put the silos from your General Mills structure in it. Just "change the name(s) to protect the innocent." >)
Andi, I will use the old corrugated metal sheet structure as a generic warehouse used by an unnamed industry. There will be no silos etc. That provides the greatest flexibility during stitching sessions.
Reinhard
Got a big sheet of cardboard from the basement and started some testing. The prototype dimensions would be 90cm*32cm (35"*12"). The cardboard prototype is shrunk to 40cm*20cm (16"*8") supporting two 50' boxcars and still a dominating building.

[Image: IMG_4198_zpsfmg823jc.jpg]

The prototype walls are covered with corrugated sheets. I am unsure how to do that at the model. There are similar plastic sheets locally available but it would cost a fortune to make/plate the entire structure from those sheets.

[Image: Bildschirmfoto%202015-06-24%20um%2017.55...056esf.jpg]

Another concern is the rear track behind the structure. It must not be covered to prevent problems during switching (uncoupling etc.).
Reinhard
Reinhard;

Have you considered getting some quality images of corrugated siding, scaling it to the proper dimensions, and just printing it out to cover the walls? Seems like Lance M. has pulled this off very well on his layouts. I have several structure mockups that I was using on my layout, and have considered trying to do that myself, just to see how it might work.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
FCIN Wrote:Reinhard;

Have you considered getting some quality images of corrugated siding, scaling it to the proper dimensions, and just printing it out to cover the walls? Seems like Lance M. has pulled this off very well on his layouts. I have several structure mockups that I was using on my layout, and have considered trying to do that myself, just to see how it might work.
Ed, that is one option I have in my mind. Another one is to get a small piece of corrugated "plastic" and rub appropriate rectangles of aluminum foil (from the kitchen) to get corrugated structure surface. Than glue the rectangles at the wall in a pattern like the prototype.
Reinhard
If you want a plastic pattern, Reinhard - I'm pretty sure that WILLS do packs of sheets
Is it worth looking in a stationery or craft shops for corrugated paper sheet - the last lot I picked up came from Lidl
Before I read your comment on using Aluminium foil sheets for this, I was thinking the same. Wills does indeed also make corrugated sheets, but that could prove a bit expensive.
The thing with aluminium foil is though that it can tear easily, so it might be quite labour intensive. It has the potential to look really good though, but it will be a delicate operation. Nevertheless that's a real atmospheric 'Florida' location you've found there Reinhard.

Good luck and looking forward to this industry.

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Reinhard
Plastruk makes corrugated siding w/ 2 different spacings of the corrugations. Going to use the smaller spacing for the LAJ engine house. They are in Walthers or you can see by doing a Google search. They are also sold thru eBay.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
I found an old piece of Vollmer #6027 (right hand) as a model. It is quite different from the Florida prototype but it represents the same kind of wall cover. It is some kind of light gray synthetics but no corrugated steel.
The left side is aluminum foil spread with a stiff brush over the model and glued to cardboard. I hope to emphasize the texture with some paint and weathering later on. I intend to stay with the cardboard kernel. Cardboard is a good base to wallpaper the aluminum foil with a simple glue stick.

ps. Last but not least it is a cost effective method Big Grin

[Image: IMG_4200_zpspzyhttal.jpg]
Reinhard
The cardboard superstructure got completed at the next morning. The roof and the little tower are not glued in place only yet.
Wallpapering will start when the glue is solid set later this day. All gates at the loading docks will be sliding gates on rails mounted on op of the wallpaper. The narrow roofs over the loading docks will be installed later too. That makes it easier to wallpaper plain walls.

[Image: IMG_4201_zpsldyqtefs.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4202_zpseksdvmh2.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4203_zps5ta6yidq.jpg]
Reinhard