Freelance 2015-1
A Cornerstone surge bin kit arrived and got assembled into two halves. Waiting for another kit to get four halves in total. The surge bins make nice small silos less dominating than the standard grain silos.
[Image: IMG_4216_zpsgkizn6mt.jpg]

There will be little progress over the next days. Waiting for the other surge bin but more important painting the outside window frames is scheduled for Monday.
That requires the removal of the lift out section in front of the door. A delicate process with a certain risk of not perfect aligned tracks due to moisture and heat variations.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:A Cornerstone surge bin kit arrived and got assembled into two halves. Waiting for another kit to get four halves in total. The surge bins make nice small silos less dominating than the standard grain silos.
[Image: IMG_4216_zpsgkizn6mt.jpg]

Nice!. Great tip that on assembling the kit into 2 halves.
Reinhard
There's no need to buy expensive kits when all kinds of household & other things come in plastic tubular containers to make into silos. Use pix of real silos to figure out how to "detail" them cheaply also.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
lajry Wrote:Reinhard
There's no need to buy expensive kits when all kinds of household & other things come in plastic tubular containers to make into silos. Use pix of real silos to figure out how to "detail" them cheaply also.
Andy, I admit that I have no clue how to make a corrugated steel grain bin from household parts. I can also not remember to have seen something like that in the internet. For this time it's to late but I would be glad to get a pointer to a detailed how to to make my own corrugated steel grain bin in the future.
Reinhard
The big ugly gap..... ready to paint the window and door frames tomorrow. Absolute no model railroading Eek
[Image: IMG_4217_zpsloapvghw.jpg]
Reinhard
Got the other surge bin today. The four halves are together with a conveyor mounted on a small base plate. It is my intention to keep it as a reusable unit for later layouts. It is also easier to install in the far left rear corner (actually put in place) as one unit.

The prototype is heavy weathered. Almost dark gray / brown. I used black and brown water colors for heavy weathering.

[Image: IMG_4223_zpsmi6lysmz.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4224_zpschumkrpo.jpg]

How it blends together, view from my chair.

[Image: IMG_4226_zps0y3ww6gv.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard just to tease you a little bit.You could have saved yourself a lot of work simply by replacing those Purina signs with new ones that said Tropicana.

By the way I do like the new building(s) too.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Catt Wrote:..... replacing those Purina signs with new ones that said Tropicana.....

Not Tropicana but Seminole. It is a pure coincidence but I moved from dog and cat food (Purina) to Horse feed (Seminole) :o
Reinhard
I bet that Reinhard will change it to Tropicana in about 6 to 8 weeks time. Icon_lol
After all nothing says I'm modelling Florida quite like having some Tropicana reefers or better yet the Tropicana plant.

Almost feel the need for a orange juice. Cheers

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
I have been tempted serval times to do something with the citrus industry. That was a quite natural choice for my SoCal layout too.
The internet is full with lots of beautiful old wooden citrus processing facilities. But they are all gone. Todays citrus facilities do not fit on small ISLs. It would be like doing coal mining at the powder river on my layout.....
Model railroading would be much easier for me if I would model the transition period. The variety of small rail served industries was much bigger.

The road is simplified, green base ground cover and fence added. The empty space in the background will be covered by a flat background building.

[Image: IMG_4227_zps4aim1q3h.jpg]
Reinhard
Another great looking scene.

Bruce
Almost done.... but there are always some details you can work on Smile

[Image: IMG_4228_zpsfotchq9k.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4229_zpshfxlaqvg.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4230_zps5mx4v0fp.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard - the silos look good - but I'm surprised that you didn't use one of these Faller HO 130476 Two Industry Silos
Faller H0 130530 Medium feed silos - but perhaps they weren't large enough?
I have those Faller silos but they are to small indeed,
Reinhard
Model railroading would be much easier for me if I would model the transition period. The variety of small rail served industries was much bigger.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Reinhard,That thought has been bugging me for the last 2-3 months and I know what era(mid 50s) and industries I have in mind.

The bigger question is should it be small (0-6-0T or 2-6-0) steam or GE 44 or 70 tonner? My ISL would represent the industrial terminus of a 2 mile switching railroad serving a industrial area.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!