Accidentally sliced off the rear pilot, options?
I was trying to slice off some molded pilot details then sand it to make room for a plow and other pilot detail and I accidentally cut a chunk of the pilot off. I made the diagonal cut a square and was going to use some styrene and putty to fix the pilot. Is that the best way to fix it or maybe someone has had a similar mishap and has a better method.
[Image: imagejpg1_zps3317243d.jpg]
I had the same mishap. It was quite easy to repair with styrene as you plan to do it.
I used two pieces of styrene. A thicker one and a very thin one on top overlapping with the upper part. That saved the putty and ensure a perfect surface.

This is a pilot plate of the prototype that looks like the one I built with two pieces of styrene
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.ph...770&nseq=8
Reinhard
Reinhard's solution will do the trick, although I'd also add a thicker splice plate to the back surface. Use solvent-type cement to make the repair - stronger than ca when working with styrene.

Reinhard, I really like that Erie-inspired paint scheme. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
My only worry in glueing a piece of styrene across the pilot is that it's an Athearn RTR model and I'm not sure I'll beable to put the shell in place since the couplers get attached before the shell is in place.
Rscott417 Wrote:My only worry in glueing a piece of styrene across the pilot is t it's an Athearn RTR model and I'm not sure I'll beable to put the shell in place since the couplers get attached before the shell is in place.
I change that usually be cutting the coupler support at the drive off and add a new one with some layers of styrene in the shell. The new screw will pass through the coupler box into the hole drilled into the new added support in the shell. It becomes basically the same construction like Atlas, Kato etc. do it at GP3x etc. models.
Reinhard
That's a really good idea Reinhard, I'm going to need to try that.
Yeah, body-mounted couplers are a must for pilot-mounted plows, but they improve the appearance of any Blue Box locos:

[Image: 2007-01-10194.jpg]

[Image: otherlocos013.jpg]

[Image: 100_5413.jpg]

[Image: U-boatphotos006.jpg]

...and an interior view of the last one:

[Image: U-boatphotos008.jpg]

Wayne
Thanks for the photos Dr Wayne.
Ah, this is no problem at all!

Railflyer model Prototypes made brass pilots meant to be attached to the ends of scratchbuilt diesels.

I'm not sure if the company is still around, by Mike Rose Hobbies still offers them on his website, and hes a fairly reliable guy!

You can get all your detail back, and fill out the hole you sliced. Problem solved!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mrhobby.com/store.php?seller=MikeRoseHobbies&navt1=63804&per=5&num=5&grid=">http://www.mrhobby.com/store.php?seller ... um=5&grid=</a><!-- m -->
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Walthers still may have them in stock too,makes an easy fix,if you do find him direct,DO NOT order from him as he has taken many people for a ride