athern big boy
Hi guys , Athern HO Big Boy circa 2005 manufacturer , I am seeking advice - as I took the loco from the box the front engine fell out , I managed to clip it back and now the wheels lock and the valve gear is in the wrong position ,
question is do the engine simply pull out like some diesel loco trucks ?
I dont want to pull the engine (the 4-8-0 bit !) if it is held by the screws on the loco chassis .

thank you
alan

edit - have looked at the instruction sheet and PDF and cant find any refrence .
thanks for the rapid reply's , although it seems like either no one knows or Athern stuff is crappy like the infamous B-mann stuff ,
it looks like I'll have to get the screwdriver out and have a fix it - break it session ...
:oops: :oops: Yeah I am just now seeing your post, but I have a good excuse......I was attending a funeral, and then traveling back home, so this is the first time I've been able to access the board. Wink
Athearn: If this is one of the 'Genesis' line, is a good product, so far as I have ever seen. I am :oops: :oops: unaware of the Big Boy being one of their products ( I'm an "Allegheny" fan ).
I'm thinking that there should have been a "parts diagram" that came with the loco. If it's there it would help in understanding how everything "goes together".
There might also be a "Service Department Phone number" somewhere in the paperwork that you could call.
If it has to come down to " attempt to fix it, or throw it away "? attempt to fix it. (( line two of my signature Wink applies ))
In any case, a call to Athearn would be the best place to start. They might just replace it, or have you send it to them for repair. Where you found the problem the first time you opened the box, I would reasonably expect an exchange.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
you could try here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hoseeker.net/lit.html">http://www.hoseeker.net/lit.html</a><!-- m -->
Dadbert
CEO C&PRR
thanks for the info , the loco was bought new a while (few years) back and is in its original packing , and has only been test run on a oval of track , just this has happened to the wheel set is mysterious , I will have to have a look at doing a fix/service at the same time . I cant see anything in the booklet that came with the loco as regards the engine coming out for cleaning/service . even the exploded plan isn't very clear .

Alan