Size/grade of HO ballast?
BR60103 Wrote:You might experiment on some hidden track to see what looks good. CN locally seems to have a mixture -- bigger chunks in the middle and fine at the edges but that was in a station.
I think that it may be laid as large chunks and get broken down over the years. I think ballast is one of those features that need to look right rather than be scale.

Ballast also varies a lot, even within one section of track. So you don't have to worry a whole lot about being overly consistent. Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Rob-Thanks for the suggestion on the proportions.Bob
I think Roberts idea of mixing scales would probably be a very good mix and I think I will try it.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
At long last, I finally have some pics of my ballasting efforts, i.e. mixing some coarse brown/pink ballast with fine grey. As per the discussion here I think/hope I've achieved a realistic effect.

I'm posting some pics from my two small layouts and am open to criticism and feedback, even critical!

Thanks,
Rob

Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
after first reading this thread i went out to the up main by my house and there ballast there is in the 2 & 3/4 to 3 & 1/2 inch range .
modeling that would as said appear to be smooth at anymore that one ft away .i use two different colors of clean sand mixed
with a little bit of sharp shot(black sand blasting medium)for added definition .
jim
When I built my first layout in N scale (back in the 1970s) I looked out for a cheap source of sand for ballast. What I found was so-called 'Bird Sand' - I think it is a decomposed granite sand with white, somewhat quartzy looking and black particles, giving the impression of a medium gray. At that time, 1 kilogram (about 2 lb) cost about $1.00. (The choice was clear: Compare this price to the apothecary prices for model railroad ballast in a LHS - also at that time there you got a small plastic bag with about 100g (3-1/3 oz.) for about $2.00 - about 20 times more expensive! :o )

I bought quite a reserve of this stuff, and so when I restarted model railroading a few years ago, I still found about 3 kg stashed away in the garage! Thumbsup And so I use the same sand for H0 track, which was used before on N scale track.

Which brings us back to our basic theme in this thread: Scalewise I would say that this ballast is a bit too coarse for N scale - and perhaps it is a little too fine for H0. The average grain size is in the region of 1 millimeter (a little more than 1/32"). But I'll stay with it, because for me the perception of 'ballast' is just ok. But everyone sees it a little different, of course.

I am adding two pics from my old N and my new H0 layout, so you can judge for yourself. (BTW, I toned down the light gray a bit with a wash of inkahole (india ink & alcohol).

PS: A final remark: I went out to several supermarkets and looked again for bird sand - but I wasn't able to get Granite sand somewhere! Now you only get two much finer grades - one is buff colored and mixed with crushed seashells, and the other one is snow white and extremely fine. I use it (also toned down) to 'ballast' lowly sidings like the track in the foreground of my second pic. (And yes, the price went up to about $3 for a pound... Nope )

Ron

Attached Files Image(s)

Boss of the Trim Creek & Western RR (H0 & H0n3)
Running through the hard-shell mountains, not around them!
Okay, that 3&1/2" max seems close to me (retired for 2 yrs after 33 walking over the ballast) - but, as a couple have said, it's perception of texture that counts (like RIVETs)! Some stone around tracks is bigger(RIP-RAP used to fill and retain roadbed), or smaller ("walking stone" like driveway gravel for paths, platform areas, around switches in yards where crews must constantly walk), depending on use. Ballast is designed not to compact easily - walking on it is difficult on a slope, hazardous and hard on your LP's ankles, knees, and other parts, if they trip! Railroads do take such factors into account - fine stone is CHEAPER than a LAWSUIT. Hope this helps. Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
BR60103 Wrote:You might experiment on some hidden track to see what looks good. CN locally seems to have a mixture -- bigger chunks in the middle and fine at the edges but that was in a station.
I think that it may be laid as large chunks and get broken down over the years. I think ballast is one of those features that need to look right rather than be scale.

The bigger stuff is to hold the track and the finer is for walking on. The finer ballast at the edge of the tracks is called "walking Ballast". It is to make it easier and safer for the crew members walking alongside the cars.
Richard looking at MP 242 while working for the FEC Rwy.