Freelance 2015-2
A small office building was left over from another kit. It is used as the offices for the LCL freight shed.
[Image: IMG_4359_zpspnbh5mun.jpg]
Reinhard
Looking good Reinhart! It is amazing how fast you rewamped the layout again and the atmosphere is dead on! Love to see a few black and white photos to make it look more vintage! Cheers
Painkiller Wrote:.... Love to see a few black and white photos to make it look more vintage! Cheers
Never did that. Gave it a try:

[Image: IMG_4361_zps2q4szt4y.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4362_zpsmwpqbjkm.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4363_zpsdbgtzbhb.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4364_zps3xbgcxag.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4365_zpsfjcb40qv.jpg]

Not a bad idea. The b/w photos match the 1930 layout quite nice

Working on five Faller horse drawn wagons to make them different. They had all the same boxes glued in the same position and all 10 horses are plain black. Lots of work...
[Image: IMG_4366_zps2y8wobsy.jpg]
Reinhard
It looks in black and white like the real thing. Good job! Smile In black and white it really looks like the scenes I have seen in old photos. Nice to be able too see your progress and the thread is very entertaning to follow.
Two of the five Faller horse drawn wagons.
I used three different shades of brown to get a variety of horses. It did not work. The black plastic made all three brown very similar dirty brown. Lesson learned is to use light gray primer if you paint on black....

[Image: IMG_4369_zpsjxfc3mpv.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4368_zpsifvdocss.jpg]

and a black & white one
[Image: IMG_4370_zpsahy7ov8t.jpg]
Reinhard
Doing details means assembling, painting and weathering of 40 light brown boxes, 40 medium brown boxes and 40 gray bales. What a great hobby Wink

[Image: IMG_4371_zpsa75nksvt.jpg]
Reinhard
Looks like you are going to need a lot of little people to animate those scenes and give purpose to the various businesses and warehouses.
I have got some Walthers Mainline X-29 boxcars. They are a nice all steal alternative to my wooden boxcars and still fit into a 1930 scenery.

[Image: IMG_4373_zpsosblwark.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4372_zpsratz7z6e.jpg]

Boxes and bales are distributed all over the layout. I am afraid I could use some hundred more....

[Image: IMG_4374_zpspzgoeilg.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4375_zps3fz1se04.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4376_zpsfueeza6t.jpg]

MountainMan's reminder to populate the layout with people made me think how to glue them in place. I did it some years ago with CA..... no, they do not have feet anymore Sad Woodland advertises it's "Scenic Accents Glue" for that purpose too. I got a small bottle 1.25 fl oz today opened it, look and smelled and felt kidded. They sell ordinary water solvable white glue in in tiny bottles for an unbelievable price Curse
Reinhard
Reinhard - this is also recommended for attaching figures non-permanently <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gaugemaster.com/tacky_wax.html">http://www.gaugemaster.com/tacky_wax.html</a><!-- m -->
shortliner Wrote:Reinhard - this is also recommended for attaching figures non-permanently <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gaugemaster.com/tacky_wax.html">http://www.gaugemaster.com/tacky_wax.html</a><!-- m -->
Thank you, it is on order. Found one German dealer offering it. Most are from UK and some US.
Reinhard
First day in revenue service for B&O No 1

[Image: IMG_4386_zpssegbmpjd.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4384_zpslas5eq1w.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4384_zpsoymjupcp.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard,I gotta say I had to look twice at that middle picture to ensure it was a model. Great job! Thumbsup Worship
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Reinhard, great additions and detailing!
Your layout gets life and this a very good change!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
You work fast and have the right eye for the details. Looks like it is indeed the thirties. I made a little test yesterday and I took a piece of a flex track on the table. Parked one of Sou high nose Geep 38.s on it and a couple of more modern cars on it and the track was full with just three or four pieces. After that I took one of my Geep 7.s on it with fifties era car, mostly 40 footers and I almost got a short peddle on the same track. I guess this why the early eras are more perfect for a layout as you can have more equipment on it and able to pack more action on it without making it toy like. I am still struggling on the theme of the layout and era, though in my head the track plan is more or less set. One idea I get while looking your new lay out is how about adding a 90 degrees dummy crossing with a trolley line on one of the streets? Maybe parking one of the fine looking recent Bachmann trolleys on it too. But I can almost smell the smoke from the steamers and here the rumble from the activity from the past on your layout, in any version you have had, you always nail it. And these threads are very interesting to follow.

The current scene reminds me of a small switching line at Liljeholmen in Stockholm during the eighties when on the one side there were old brick warehouses with a rough street with tracks crossing the street to the ware houses. Between them and the very cramped J-shaped yard towards the water front. On the other side is still one of the main roads to the south west side of the city and it dived under the viaduct where the yard makes the bow at the bottom of the "J" and at the very end was a location of a freight terminal. One track there was extended to a cement plant not far away from the freight house.
The line used electric current and saw smaller 0-6-0 electrics (available from Trix/Marklin) guess to the seventies when the catenary was taken down while the masts were left untouched and by the to the end it used usually a T21 (Heljan) or a T44 (jeco, Trix/Marklin) diesels. At the opposite end the line was connected to a major yard by a tunnel and next to it was a switch back to the docks where there was/is a warehouse and liquor plant. Now a days the brick canyon is gone and replaced by modern office buildings and the yard is transformed in to depot for the light rail system of the city. But it still if I get more photos, some of the plans I have a layout in the future. When I was in schooling with my work and getting some printed work material, I was a lot there at projects at my work and was able to see some of the action back then.
I am proceeding to add details.

A cinder covered truck and wagon yard in the foreground got a wooden fence. I am sorry but fresh paint is not planned for the next time.....
[Image: IMG_4387_zps7xz1jec6.jpg]

The prototype switch stands are the most basic. Even the signal is missing.
[Image: Bildschirmfoto%202015-08-22%20um%2018.24...zvhcxe.jpg]
Rix 628-0013 is somewhat similar.
[Image: IMG_4388_zpsmfnmynlk.jpg]

The yard office got signs for the A and B yard team tracks.
[Image: IMG_4389_zpsypfhehk6.jpg]

ps. A yard at W. 17th St is fiction/freelance. There was one on W.15.St in Manhattan.
Reinhard