MDC/ROUNDHOUSE locomotive rebuilds
Hi Glen---here's the USRA Athearn tender from a CNR S3A Mike.Water capacity 8300 GALS.,coal 16 TONS

[Image: 4da65552-2f00-49f7-96a1-0ab56f5ed0a6_zpstcwexbzz.jpg]
Excellent, just what I needed! Now on with the decalling
cnrglen Wrote:Excellent, just what I needed! Now oink with the decalling

Yeah, sometimes that fine work can be a real pig.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Oink indeed.
Thanks to everyone's help I finished the decaling this morning, followed by a spray of testors glosscote.
[Image: DSCF6371_zpsfybaihmz.jpg]
some of the smaller decals were a challenge and I had to re-do a couple numbers due to the solvaset warping them but it worked out well in the end.
[Image: DSCF6372_zpssbi1x88n.jpg]
Doctor Wayne's tip on glosscoteing after the decals worked very well. you can't really see the film at the edges. I was also lucky that the microscale set had the correct class# in it.
[Image: DSCF6373_zpsrm04nkax.jpg]
The tender decals
[Image: DSCF6374_zpsehulbqsp.jpg]
The set also came with the data or safety lettering for the cylinders and the air tank.
[Image: DSCF6375_zpsy9woasq6.jpg]
the last decals to be applied were the front number boards. Now I'll wait a bit while the glosscote fully airs out before I paint the cab window frames in red and add glass. then I can spray the model down with dulcote and start re-assembling.
Thanks again to Doctor Wayne's advice I was able to paint and finish the front number boards.
[Image: DSCF6418_zpsswbfmkdt.jpg]
Airbrushed in Floquil Caboose red
[Image: DSCF6419_zpsmyj1hm8n.jpg]
[Image: DSCF6420_zpsjarsvc40.jpg]
and after about 20 minutes of sanding with 600 wet/dry sandpaper. They look just like the real thing.
I got the engine finished up to the light weathering I plan to add:
[Image: DSCF6441_zpsbyylrhck.jpg]
The window frames are painted in caboose red, the rest of the details (whistle, bell, air hoses) were added.
[Image: DSCF6442_zpsilhlzqnp.jpg]
After I cleaned all the wheels the engine ran quite a bit better. It's probably only going to be run on the layout on special occasions though. It's not much good at switching.
[Image: DSCF6443_zps23caoqg2.jpg]
One of the last things I did tonight was to add a layer of Woodland Scenics mine run coal into the tender. Looks a lot better than the cast in stuff.
[Image: DSCF6446_zpsdcuyrd5r.jpg]
As I mentioned before I like the contrast of the different blacks on the engine. After I finished up the detail painting I dulcoted the model. You will notice that the headlight jewel and the front numberboard aren't in yet. I'll add those after some light weathering with my airbrush. I'm thinking of just a light misting of grimy black on the running gear, keeping the rest looking 'freshly shopped' or at least wiped down.
Very nicely done, Glen. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Hi Glen,
i agree to Wayne, a very well done rebuilt of an old steamer.

Cheers Lutz
Thanks Wayne and Lutz. It's quite satisfying to get to the end of a project and the finished product was what you had envisioned.
[Image: DSCF6448_zpsfy465n14.jpg]
I added the last few details last night and sprayed some grimy black on the running gear and frame of both the engine and tender.
[Image: DSCF6449_zpsd0mhtozo.jpg]
[Image: DSCF6452_zpsh7s7uji5.jpg]
The headlight jewel and etched numberboard are installed. I also used a scale-size Kadee whisker coupler on the front.
[Image: DSCF6453_zpspr8ero5p.jpg]
I posed it pulling a short mixed train, just pulling into Blackwater. I think I managed to capture the look of a CNR N-4-A locomotive without doing any major alterations of the boiler or running gear.
I think I'm done with steam engines for awhile though. This thread is over a year old and it's time to work on something a bit different.
Last week I had a vintage all metal MDC 0-6-0 switcher with a slope-back tender given to me. Were there any Canadian National locomotives that had similarities to this model?
cnrglen Wrote:Last week I had a vintage all metal MDC 0-6-0 switcher with a slope-back tender given to me. Were there any Canadian National locomotives that had similarities to this model?

Some others will be able to answer better than me, but CNR did have 0-6-0 with sloped tender. I converted a Bachmann one few years ago. Replacing the cab with a Spectrum 2-8-0 cab really helped to give it a CNR look. The sloped tender will required a good deal of bashing though, but nothing you can't handle at this point.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
sailormatlac Wrote:
cnrglen Wrote:Last week I had a vintage all metal MDC 0-6-0 switcher with a slope-back tender given to me. Were there any Canadian National locomotives that had similarities to this model?

Some others will be able to answer better than me, but CNR did have 0-6-0 with sloped tender. I converted a Bachmann one few years ago. Replacing the cab with a Spectrum 2-8-0 cab really helped to give it a CNR look. The sloped tender will required a good deal of bashing though, but nothing you can't handle at this point.

Matt

Matt, Glen,

Here's Matt's thread from way back in 2012 about CNR slope tender switchers: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5914">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5914</a><!-- l -->

Andrew
Thanks for the help and the link. I'll keep that in mind when I start that project.