MDC/ROUNDHOUSE locomotive rebuilds
I did a bit more work this evening, mostly on the cab.
[Image: DSCF4970_zps6cew27js.jpg]
I mounted the cab the same way that MDC did it, using a screw up through the boiler. I used a piece of 3/16 styrene tubing and a small gusset piece for strength, gluing it all together with JB Weld. Not the prettiest joint, but it won't be seen either.
[Image: DSCF4971_zpsavenbpiw.jpg]
While the cab was off I sanded the roof smooth of the hatches and deflectors. I'll add a single hatch later. I also sanded a rectangular vent off the cab just below the window on each side.
[Image: DSCF4973_zpsl54rme5u.jpg]
lastly I added a filler piece under the firebox to hide the frame.

Now I was also experimenting with tenders. The engine comes with an old-time tender:
[Image: DSCF4968_zpsdrgduzb4.jpg]
But I was thinking of a slope-back tender instead:
[Image: DSCF4969_zpsklmozlfe.jpg]
As a logging line engine I thought it would look a bit more 'back woods' this way
Thoughts, Comments?
cnrglen Wrote:As a logging line engine I thought it would look a bit more 'back woods' this way
Thoughts, Comments?
Shooting from the hip and from my down-under perspective, I associate slope back tenders with switch engines.
That said having admired your other recent projects, I’m sure it will work out just fine either way.
Cheers, the Bear. Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
Cnrglen, I would like to write same as the Bear. The slope back tender is a typical equipment of switchers.
I have checked Kinsey's book "The Locomotive portraits" with his fantastic pictures of logging engines and there were five or six rigid frame engines in book, most Mikados, and two Mallets and they all have rectangular tenders. Not one engine with slope back tender is pictured.
I would like to prefer the rectangular tender for your loco. Good success!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
cnrglen Wrote:... As a logging line engine I thought it would look a bit more 'back woods' this way
Thoughts, Comments?
I second the other two previous comments. A slope tender is very usual for switchers to have a better view while coupling backwards. That is not a main issue for logging lines.
Might be you intend to use it as a dedicated switcher at the yard of the logging line? Wink :o
Reinhard
A sloped tender would also offer advantages in being lighter on short lines where the water capacity isn't needed. Sloped tenders were also supplied with several narrow gauge locomotives for this reason.

Here is an example of a logging 2-8-0 similar in size to what you are building with a sloped tender:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rgusrail.com/azslm25.html">http://www.rgusrail.com/azslm25.html</a><!-- m -->
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
EDIT: The website says that tender is not original to the engine, but rather from a small 2-6-6-2. Interesting.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Kevin, I like that photos of that engine but in the description it states that 'Above, this slope back tender was never used by #25 in service. Instead, it operated with a rectangular tender ' So I think I will be going with the original tender. I will be using the pictures of #24 for detailing, as it looks very similar to the MDC engine.
Here's my take on justifying your build.

The low slung boiler is a common feature in mining locos.
Perhaps your frugal management acquired her from an old mine in a poker game?

Since mining engines rarely had cabs, your shop would add the modern steel one for logging use.

There is an ex-Wellington Collieries(Vancouver Island) Baldwin 2-6-2T engine at the Snoqualmie museum near Seattle, which has or had a slope-back tender added for extra capacity.

Perhaps there are extra water stops or a short run, It's your logging company!

Dan M.
Well I used some spare time this week to add some rudimentary detailing to the boiler. I found a picture of a D&RGW C-18 (#346) that I'm using as a detailing guide. I know that it's narrow gauge and this is standard but it seems to work for this model.
[Image: DSCF4984_zpscz28oxya.jpg]
I added an air line from the compressor to the cab, sanding lines and water feed lines.
[Image: DSCF4982_zpsi06eccpy.jpg]
The kit was missing the generator so I stole one off an MDC tanks engine shell. I also added a brass bell and headlight. (These were also missing) Only the bell bracket is there so far, the brass bell will be added after painting as well as the handrails.
[Image: DSCF4983_zpszfrv2vp8.jpg]
The MDC original headlight was mounted in front of the smokebox on an L bracket. I found this was typically done if the generator was mounted on the smokebox in front of the stack. If the generator is just in front of the cab the headlight was mounted on top of the smokebox. I filled the original mounting hole and used the kit`s old-time headlamp mount and a brass headlight from the spares box. These aren`t glued to the engine yet since I want to paint the smokebox graphite before. I`ll be detailing the pilot shortly.
I also started to look at the tender. It`s not in the best of shape
[Image: DSCF4976_zpsnn7nvnpx.jpg]
[Image: DSCF4975_zpshxtmtsqr.jpg]
A number of ladders are broken off and the `fence` inside is also broken. The fence isn`t a big deal since I plan to convert this tender to an oil one with a welded oil tank.
Did a bit more detailing yesterday
[Image: DSCF4985_zpszck4iok7.jpg]
The original kit makes a straight hand grab across the front pilot. Using the original hand grabs I bend an uncoupling bay in it's place. I also added the front air line and hose. I'm going to add the front boiler to pilot stays as well. The engine looks odd without them.
[Image: DSCF4986_zpsqwd3iaqj.jpg]
And I repaired/ replaced the missing and broken steps on the tender, using some 2X3 and 2X6 strip styrene.
I've almost finished the tender:
[Image: DSCF4991_zpspejca9ru.jpg]
I made the welded oil tank, and added some details.
[Image: DSCF4992_zpsmmrvg4ti.jpg]
I found the tank hatch on al old Lionel tender and added lifting eyes to each corner of the tank. I thought an extra air reservoir would come in handy on a logging railroad so I used spare out of the scrap box. I'm contemplating adding the large back up light you see in the picture, mounted on the back of the tank. If I do use it I'll have to fashion mounts for it yet.
I've also noticed that the rear pilot looks a little bare so I'll add the uncoupling lever and air line.
[Image: DSCF4993_zpsh66atnnb.jpg]
I finished the tender this evening
[Image: DSCF4998_zpsz8mc9wye.jpg]
I added the uncoupling bar, air line and the back up light.
Then I added one last thing to the engine:
[Image: DSCF4997_zpswrczslmp.jpg]
A set of brake levers on each side as described in the Model Railroader Issue referenced earlier in the thread. The Brake cylinders are from the MDC kit but don't look right just sitting there by themselves.
Now the engine is pretty much done and ready to be disassembled for the paint shop
[Image: DSCF4999_zpsa1ucc3ow.jpg]
[Image: DSCF5001_zpsxlpqut4r.jpg]
[Image: DSCF5002_zpsxmnltmu7.jpg]
Excellent work Glen. The bulky look is promising.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Thanks Matt
I spent some time this morning tearing everything down for paint
[Image: DSCF5003_zpspypqddbl.jpg]
Then I pulled out my airbrush and painted the boiler smokebox in Scalecoat graphite and oil
[Image: DSCF5006_zpsuicivfrj.jpg]
Since the airbrush uses so little paint and I would end up throwing out more than half of what I actually sprayed I did the other consolidation's smokebox as well.
I'll wait a few days for the paint to cure up and then mask and paint the rest of the boiler and engine parts.
That's some great work that you are doing. Thumbsup
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew