Meanwhile, at the cottage...a scratchbuild!
ocalicreek Wrote:Russ,

Don't worry folks, I'll get this topic back to the little shed eventually! Wink It may be the end of next week before I can get the modeling supplies up from the cabin to our new place. Fortunately for me, I did get the sketching box up here...

Galen
No worries Galen, we'll be here when it does. Cheers

Joe Thumbsup
No, it's not just a bump, I really have been working on the little tower!

Finally installed the railing. I say installed, since all the bits were there and ready to be cut to fit when it came time to pack it away to move in. With the cooler weather I have brought my portable workbench out of the garage into the house so that I can work without having to heat up the garage. This is great if I only have a short time to work, plus I'm in with the family (even though most of my time modeling is after the kids are in bed).

I have prepared a base on which to mount the building and will be creating a little scene with a tree & sidewalk as well. Looking at an old MR today, with an article about detailed scenes on George Sellios' F&SM, I am inspired to really pile on the details.

Personally, I think the F&SM is OVER-detailed, IMHO, but then again, so has George in recent years - still, I figure if I get about half as many figures, crates, etc. as he's got per square inch, then I'll be okay. I think the trick is to set a scene that's interesting regardless of how much is there.

Pictures soon!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Here's an image...not the cleanest, but it shows the latest additions: the staircase & railing has been attached, and the small smokejack, seen peeking over the roof.

[albumimg]1487[/albumimg]

There will be a little stove inside the tower, along with a chair & perhaps small table/desk. We'll see. Definately a person.

I have cleaned and washed a pair of scraggly old trees by Woodland Scenics. One will find a home next to this tower on the little diorama base. Also I've picked out a few little figures to paint, including a dog. Now it's getting to be even more fun! 2285_

Galen
ocalicreek Wrote:Personally, I think the F&SM is OVER-detailed, IMHO, but then again, so has George in recent years - still, I figure if I get about half as many figures, crates, etc. as he's got per square inch, then I'll be okay. I think the trick is to set a scene that's interesting regardless of how much is there.

Pictures soon!

Galen

I thoroughly agree. I don't care for the F&SM because it is just way over the top with the clutter and weathering. Most buildings should be moderately well maintained, even during the 1930s. It helps to make the weathered ones and the clutter really stand out. I feel like most of the "in the spirit of John Allen" modelers tend to have around 10x as many swayback cars and dilapidated buildings as the Gorre & Daphited ever had. Of course, I can still respect modelers such as George for their skill.

The tower looks good. I like the weathering on the roof.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Nifty tower! Is that a storage area under the stairs? Nice detail!
Ralph
Thanks Michael - I grew up near a John Allen inspired layout, and only later in life realized who the inspiration was behind the creation I had known. That layout was the Calapooya Pacific located in an Antiques Barn & Christmas House near Gainesville, FL. It's now in the hands of the Ocala Model RR Club. The Allen influence is everywhere and the craftsmanship is excellent.

Anyway, being a G&D afficionado, I love to see pictures & watch the video of the master's creation. I just don't get the same satisfaction from those who imitate his work. It's a different satisfaction, especially when the modeling is first rate, but it's just not the same. This much is true for the F&SM and it's imitators, who are legion. Good modelers, many, but will never be Sellios, and shouldn't try to be.

Ralph - the area under the stairs must be some sort of storage locker or closet. I also wonder what's inside the area beneath the windows. Most grade crossing towers I've seen are like the Atlas classic, with a single support beam and ladder leading up to a hatch in the floor. The prototype was apparantly moved at some time in its life so perhaps the area under the stairs was added then? Maybe somebody on the forum with some Milwaukee Road knowledge could lend their knowledge?

Primed the tree this morning and put on the base shading coat of Dark Burnt Umber tonight. Tomorrow sometime I'll drybrush the lighter, main bark color over that base.

Galen
ocalicreek Wrote:Looking at an old MR today, with an article about detailed scenes on George Sellios' F&SM, I am inspired to really pile on the details.

Personally, I think the F&SM is OVER-detailed, IMHO, but then again, so has George in recent years - still, I figure if I get about half as many figures, crates, etc. as he's got per square inch, then I'll be okay. I think the trick is to set a scene that's interesting regardless of how much is there.
ocalicreek Wrote:being a G&D afficionado, I love to see pictures & watch the video of the master's creation. I just don't get the same satisfaction from those who imitate his work. It's a different satisfaction, especially when the modeling is first rate, but it's just not the same. This much is true for the F&SM and it's imitators, who are legion. Good modelers, many, but will never be Sellios, and shouldn't try to be.Galen

Over-detailed:..........George Sellios, Malcom Furlow,....I wouldn't go so far as including John Allen.
A swaybacked car, as a storage building, is an interesting feature. Many of them is......overkill, and loses interest in redundancy.
Equally weathered buildings, OK, but only if all the buildings are all built in the same short period of time, and then, not excessively weathered. A mix of aging is good, again, as long as it isn't too excessive. Some weathering is so intense ( Furlow is good at this), there should be a crane with a wrecking ball standing by to demolish the "safety hazard". On the other hand, If you're modeling a ghost town...........
The very first scratchbuilt piece of rolling stock I ever built was a crane car based on a John Allen "prototype". I've always admired the G&D, and occasionally will let that admiration show in my work. You will also see Al Armitage, Jack Work,and Mel Thornburgh, just to name a few of the many influences in my modelbuilding life.
To be influenced and inspired by is great. To copy directly?.........

Your tower is looking good! Very nicely done. Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Cheers

Code:
Your tower is looking good! Very nicely done.

Thanks, Sumpter!

[albumimg]1490[/albumimg]
Both trees have been primed and painted dark burnt umber. The tree on the right has been drybrushed with my favorite Delta color of all time, Mudstone.

[albumimg]1491[/albumimg]
Now both trees have the drybrushing, and the one on the right has been stained with a wash of regular burnt umber and mudstone mixed. This blends and mutes the other colors.

[albumimg]1492[/albumimg]
Finally, your first look at the structure, tree and base. I still have to finish the tree - it needs airbrushing with a secondary green and semi-glaze.

Galen
That's really starting to come to together man. Looks great. Thumbsup

S.
Thanks, tetters. Smile

I went back and studied the photos from the article and noticed the exterior shades on the windows that I'd like to add on, but I need to finish the interior first as these are delicate additions I don't want to see damaged while other work happens.

Painted a couple figures today, one tall man with binoculars who will be either in the tower or on the porch, and a lady carrying a bag of groceries. She'll be on the sidewalk along with a minister (he'd already been painted, basic black suit & hat).

Other than that, not much more has happened. Really, I'm pleased I've even accomplished that much, as my wife has had H1N1 and has been quarantined in our bedroom leaving me in charge of the boys & household for the past week. Sad She is recovering fine, thank you, and I'm glad to have a few more minutes free time again.

Galen
I hope your wife is feeling better soon. All the best for a speeding recovery. Thumbsup
Quote:I hope your wife is feeling better soon. All the best for a speeding recovery

Thanks again. She's feeling much better. Our hope now is that the kids won't get it!

I did get a few minutes after everyone was asleep a couple nights back to airbrush the trees. There's something too brown for my liking about Woodland Scenics tree foliage. I've never been a big fan of polyfiber trees anyway as it's all too easy to over-coat them in ground foam. Why use polyfoam at all if that's the result? WS instructions are pretty clear about stretching it thin. I may even go back and trim out more of what I put on the two I just finished.

Anyway, the overspray. I used a couple drops of Delta 'Seminole Green' with a couple drops Delta Varnish added, then thinned with water well over 50/50. This I airbrushed liberally on all exposed sides of the foliage. Not sure the varnish makes that much difference but I didn't want it to look too matte. Leaves do have a bit of a shine and that should show up, especially on foreground trees like these.

Once I get further along I'll get a few good shots under some decent light to show the green on the trees. It's a subtle but marked difference that, to my eyes, just makes it seem fresher and more alive somehow.

Galen
ocalicreek Wrote:I did get a few minutes after everyone was asleep a couple nights back to airbrush the trees. There's something too brown for my liking about Woodland Scenics tree foliage. I've never been a big fan of polyfiber trees anyway as it's all too easy to over-coat them in ground foam. Why use polyfoam at all if that's the result? WS instructions are pretty clear about stretching it thin. I may even go back and trim out more of what I put on the two I just finished.
Galen

Just a thought, sifting the ground foam, and applying in several coats, might give you more control of the density of the leaves, much the same as expanding the Polyfiber reduces the density of the branches. I've used that technique for several years now, and have been quite satisfied with the results. I also use a clear gloss spray, for the adhesive, which seems to limit the amount of foam that sticks in each application.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Quote:Just a thought, sifting the ground foam, and applying in several coats, might give you more control of the density of the leaves, much the same as expanding the Polyfiber reduces the density of the branches. I've used that technique for several years now, and have been quite satisfied with the results. I also use a clear gloss spray, for the adhesive, which seems to limit the amount of foam that sticks in each application.

I'll have to try that next time. This time around I was using the WS tree kits where the foam and fibers are already together in a sheet that you stretch and tease. Much of the foam falls off during that stretching, I find, and so I did have to sprinkle quite a bit back onto the tree. I didn't sift it, however, and that may have made a difference.

Anyway, I'm not unhappy with the result so it's fine for now. I used a combo of Elmer's spray glue and a Matte finish clear spray when adding back the foam. The gloss added to the paint didn't quite give me the results I was looking for, so I may hit it quickly with a shot of a gloss coat (like the matte spray I used), or maybe not. We'll see after I stare at it a while longer.

Galen
Two progress photos:
[albumimg]1570[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1571[/albumimg]

First, an image of the structure and various add-on bits. The little bin is plastic below with scribed card above and a flat brass stock handle. Painted as per the closet under the stairs, with raw sienna base and white drybrushed, then weathered. Graphite on the handle & Bragdon dark rust with water streaked down the top for an indication that there are hinges on the top. Probably need some WD40. The tank is an old plastic detail, came with an Atlas kit, I think. Long since painted so I don't recall the colors I used.

If you look closely at the tower you can see window shades/awnings. More flat brass stock bent into a square 'U' and attached above the window, pressed into slits cut in the wall then CA'd. The awning is paper, tacky glued in place then, painted flesh tan and weathered. Also there's a timber beneath the bottom rung of the stairs. This is a few layers of card sandwiched then painted 'Mudstone' & weathered. Needs a lighter drybrush, perhaps.

The dog on the sidewalk painting the hydrant yellow is a WS casting, came with a dogs & cats detail set. The sidewalk and diorama base ground coat is sculptamold - still good after nearly 15 years! I tinted it with raw sienna, but that didn't make much difference. The color you see has been painted on, both raw sienna and an autumn brown. The sidewalk is quaker gray, then a wash of dark burnt umber, and a dry brush of white/quaker gray.

Still need to drill the base for lighting wires, and complete the interior detailing of the tower. I'd have done both this morning but the drill wasn't charged and I was running out of time. I plan on turning a potbelly stove for the interior, and maybe making a chair/table set. We'll see. At least the stove for now.

Galen