Retirement ....Good , Bad , So-so ??
I agree and I feel sorry for those who have worked all their life without cultivating any interests ....hard to believe . I've had trains and cars ( now old cars ) in my life since childhood ..........other interests since then .
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Jim's Blues

I woke up this mornin'; I was still in my bed. (tiddley pom)
I woke up this mornin'; I was still in my bed. (tiddley pom)
So I rolled on my side, and I went back to sleep. (tacet)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I'm only 55 (almost 56), but I often tell people that I'd gladly retire right now if I could. I'm not driven to work and have lots and lots of hobbies. I'd have no trouble filling my time -- I'd probably volunteer at 1-2 heritage railways, help out at model train clubs, volunteer more at church, help maintain hiking trails (being an avid hiker), etc.

Having said all that, I'm sure it would feel weird for awhile not having to work (might feel lost), but I'm sure I'd get over it. I would have no trouble keeping busy and if I ever did get too busy, I'd just take breaks when needed!

The only problem is, is that I'm probably going to HAVE to work until I'm 70 or even older. I got married late and my kids are only now entering their teenage years! Confusedhock: Sad Eek Then there's university ...

Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
If you sell the kids Rob you could retire much earlier! Eek Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
What I was gonna say , Mike , you beat me to it . Goldth Goldth

T
I offer this observation.
When you leave your job after a certain age, you have pension rights (if the firm has pensions). If you leave after, say, 55, you may have a choice between a pension at age 65 and a smaller pension now. Often, if you take the immediate pension, the company continues the medical/dental/insurance plans that you had as an employee. If you defer the pension to a later age, they don't.
This policy differs from company to company, so check how your employer does it.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:I offer this observation.
When you leave your job after a certain age, you have pension rights (if the firm has pensions). If you leave after, say, 55, you may have a choice between a pension at age 65 and a smaller pension now. Often, if you take the immediate pension, the company continues the medical/dental/insurance plans that you had as an employee. If you defer the pension to a later age, they don't.
This policy differs from company to company, so check how your employer does it.

After I was classified as disabled I got 80% disability pension from the Union then after 60 days full retirement. Makes it nice knowing I still have my insurance coverage.

I still shudder just thinking about the hospital bill I had after my 3 weeks on life support in ICU and another week in step down followed by 30 days in a nursing home for follow up treatment and physical therapy.. WHEW!
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Your health care system , or lack thereof , puzzles me . Maybe it's politics , maybe none of the 50 states can agree on everything but if you haven't got some kind of coverage through work , you're screwed ! Atleast Obama is trying to put something together but opposition politicians keep bitching and complaining . No previous administration was able to come up with a health care plan . Nothing will suit everyone , I'm sure , but get started on it !

At least , in Canada , we are all covered for a hospital stay and when you turn 65 , if you haven't got medication coverage from when you worked , pills cost just the dispensing fee ( about $4 ) and you pay $100 deductible once a year for all meds . My wife was in hospital 6 months and when she got out she had one month to go until her 65th birthday .....doctor GAVE her enough meds ( 14 pills/day ) to cover her until her birthday ....saved us over $900 !! I don't even want to think what the medical bill for a 6 month hospital stay would have been . Crazy

T
For you retirees have you found out yet that all that free time you're supposed to have is not yours to have much less free? LOL Seems like all your family & friends also think, that so your the first one the come to for help!
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
lajry Wrote:For you retirees have you found out yet that all that free time you're supposed to have is not yours to have much less free? LOL Seems like all your family & friends also think, that so your the first one the come to for help!

There are many, many times that I've wished I was back at work so I could have that free time that I used to have for those things that I like to do.... Somehow, that seems to slip away after retirement.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:
lajry Wrote:For you retirees have you found out yet that all that free time you're supposed to have is not yours to have much less free? LOL Seems like all your family & friends also think, that so your the first one the come to for help!

There are many, many times that I've wished I was back at work so I could have that free time that I used to have for those things that I like to do.... Somehow, that seems to slip away after retirement.

Don, Don't allow your time to slide by.. Grab 2-3 hours of me time every day since life is getting shorter..

I find it easier if I don't agree to every request for help especially from those that never return the favor. My kids are adults..They must attend to their matters as adults should since old Dad not going to do it for them.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Tyson Rayles Wrote:If you sell the kids Rob you could retire much earlier! Eek Icon_lol

Good point -- I'm tempted some days!
Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->

Actually,that would depend on the retiree and if he can say no,I have plans for today. I stop cuddling my kids after they became adults with families of their own. As far as friends calling every day wanting this or that, sorry, I have already made plans for today. I never indulge what my plans may be though. 357

Now, 90% of my time is free to do as I will and I'll have it no other way. Cheers
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:...Now, 90% of my time is free to do as I will and I'll have it no other way. Cheers
Very well written Applause
Reinhard
Brakie Wrote:

Actually,that would depend on the retiree and if he can say no,I have plans for today. I stop cuddling my kids after they became adults with families of their own. As far as friends calling every day wanting this or that, sorry, I have already made plans for today. I never indulge what my plans may be though. 357

Now, 90% of my time is free to do as I will and I'll have it no other way. Cheers

About 50% of my current work is freelance. But, from 2010 to 2014, I worked completely as a freelancer from home.

I also had to be a little careful as some neighbours thought that -- because I was home all the time -- I was always available to run errands, give them hand, visit, etc. This didn't happen a lot and, of course, I don't mind helping out when needed. But there were a couple times when it was frustrating because I was ultra-busy & in deadlines. I guess you have to be a little cagey about your schedule and availability!

Rob
Rob