2 6x1 foot ISLs
I decided to post 2 6x1 foot ISLs that I have been designing. I'm using Atlas Code 83 Snap Switches and Track. I got some inspiration from Jim Stanford's Dolton Industry Park http://www.jimsmodeltrains.ws/index.php and from Jack Trollope's Ness Street Yard http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.p...out/page-2:

The first plan would require the use of 2 switchers to shuffle the cars.

The second plan could accommodate 5 industries and could become the Port Able Railway. I used 2 Peco Double Slip turnouts to make this plan happen
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
It would be unusual to use double slips for Industrial/Freight.

But

It would work for a passenger yard.

RPO and Express

Coach cleaning & Servicing

Dining Car / Kitchen restock

Baggage

Break down a passenger train and rebuild it...
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
The only downside to plan 2 is those 2 double slip switches may cost $$$$$ you more the then building whole thing !!!! :o
Depending upon the era being modelled and the industries being served, it is plausible for double slip switches to be used to gain access to those shippers. If the shipper[s] is/are of particularly high value/volume then the railroad will make the effort to gain access even if it means building a bridge [within reason of course], or a vehicle overpass or even setting up a car float operation. In his book Planning for Realistic Operation, John Armstrong gave as an example how a railroad had an overpass constructed so that they could access a factory precinct [today's industrial park equivalent] that required rail service.
Compared to building a small bridge over a road or river or building a overpass, having two double slip switches made is relatively cheap as all switch-work is custom made anyway so the incremental cost is not as great as it is for us modellers.
Besides who isn't looking for a way to incorporate one or more double slip switches to add interest.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Double slip switches allow me to pour 5 gallons of water into a 3 gallon bucket. Icon_lol
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Nicely adapted, Mike - I hadn't thought of using a pair of DSs
    Here's an aerial photo of what looks like two slip switches just to the right of the three way switch. The switches are just very compressed as they must have been added later. These were in the Los Angeles Junction A Yard. They are gone now as BNSF, the current LAJ owner, is redoing the A Yard.
[attachment=0]LAJ A Yard Three Way Switch.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
That photo you provided Andy, certainly proves that railroads will use fancy [read expensive] trackwork even in a yard, to save space or to make the most of the space available to get cars where they are needed.
So this also proves that even in the Modern era you can justify the use of fancy trackwork in an industrial setting on a ISL, provided you have some pressing need, ie lack of space for more standard trackwork to be able to service one or more important clients directly.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Sad to say on the LAJ these days those industries the switches were installed for are no longer getting rail service. Back in the day crews were working 24/7 but now only day & swing swifts M-F.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
The double switch turnouts are expensive. It's a matter of does the layout builder want it or not.

I'm just throwing out ideas to mull over.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

That looks lik cheap trackwork. There's no frogs!
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:That looks lik cheap trackwork. There's no frogs!
Gee do you think LAJ DID NOT want anyone to use it again? 35
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
Hoboken Manufacturers Railroad/Hoboken Shore Railroad also had a double slip switch on it's approach to the car float bridge.

Andy, maybe they're getting ready to covert to hovercraft. Icon_lol
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike,Nice ISLs.. The top ISL reminds me of Progressive Rail's Lakeville, MN industrial park operation. PR uses two SW1500s for that operation since there is no runaround. That's where I got my idea for Slate Creek Rail..

As I mention several times in the past railroads will use whatever type of track work needed to get the job done in tight areas like older urban industrial areas.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Hi Mike.

Glad to see you still enjoying the hobby and conjuring up some great designs for those of us who have absolutely no idea where to start.

It's been a while since I posted here due to demands elsewhere, but I was moved to post after some rather rude and ungracious comments posted on a U.K. Website about your recent 'challenging' and highly build-able ISLs.

What was all that nonsense about not following the baseboard edge and non-prototypical, complex switches ?

Well, as soon as I saw plan number two above, I thought of this <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bobsgardenpath.com/Patch2.html">http://www.bobsgardenpath.com/Patch2.html</a><!-- m -->

I'd like to offer my support for your generous contributions to the model railroad world, Mike; unfortunately, I'm no longer a member there, so this is the best I can muster.

Keep 'em coming, Mike; there are plenty of us who enjoy your 'pint-pot' gems Thumbsup

Regards,

Jonte