HO gauge switching layout: Shenandoah Valley
So, the rapidly approaching New Year has been making me reflect on how I have got to where I am in this hobby. It has also been focussing my mind as to what I want to get done in 2016.

How did I get to where I am now>

I first came into possession of a train set as a one year old - as my dad decided I would really enjoy a Hornby HST train set for my birthday (I think this was more for his enjoyment really!) Later on, I joined a primary school that had a model railway room where I spent many hours. When I was 7 y.o. I got a 0-6-0 Dean Goods in GWR livery (pictured) which I still have. This was my first proper locomotive. Until I was 11 y.o. though I was still definitely "playing trains". Nothing wrong with that, but I was not engaged in a hobby as such.

When I was 11 y.o. however I got a copy of British Railway Modelling (December 2011), and I read an article about a layout called "Falcon Works". This immediately inspired me to build my own layout, as opposed to a round-and-round trainset on the kitchen table. For the next few years I made many failed attempts at building my own layout. A recurring theme of these however was that they were always inspired by a recent model railway I had seen in the latest modelling magazine. Many didn't even make it past the track laying stage. I did get good at re-using track however (as I was only a kid using his pocket money for my hobby) 357 The model railway club I belonged to at the time had many members who modelled in a similar manner.

When I was about 17 I joined a different model railway club after my parents moved house to a different part of the country. I was looking for a new project, and one of the members very kindly said I could have his old collection of Life Like N gauge USA models, including a Great Northern GP18 loco. I then built a small 2'x4' n gauge layout. This was the first layout I ever actually completed. Sadly, I have no photos of it. It was a freelance layout, not based on a prototype in any real respect, but I enjoyed building it and it made me realise I could actually do it. It also made me realise that I really enjoyed the American scene, and much of my British outline stock got sold.

After I went to university at the age of 19, I stopped model railroading for 6 years. Over these years I sold most of my remaining rolling stock and equipment. However, when I got my own flat and space for a layout I decided to re-join the hobby. Over a period of a year or so I read around the subject and did some research to decide how I wanted to get back to modelling. Most importantly, I read Lance Mindheim's and Mike Cougill's work. I cannot remember how I first came across these two people, but I owe them a lot. In particular, how I perceive this hobby was completely changed by their way of thinking. After reading their work I realised that before that time I had always been building a model of a model railroad, whereas I what I wanted to do was to build a model of a railroad. It might sound obvious, but I found this realisation profound as it helped to explain why I had previously found it hard to complete a project - I was never really fully invested as I was always trying to recreate another person's model and so never achieved personal satisfaction. Moreover, the way I saw my place in the hobby changed. I realised that I could learn new skills, and that the learning of these new skills could be an end in itself, providing much enjoyment and personal satisfaction (rather than my lack of knowledge being a constant source of irritation with myself).

I am now in the process, as you can see, of building a new layout. This is freelance, designed to incorporate lots of different scenery techniques so I can improve a variety of skills, learning some new ones on the way. Right now, this learning curve is really enjoyable. By no means will this layout be permanent, but nonetheless, it has an important role to play in the long-term development of my model railroading skills (my craft as Mike Cougill would put it).

For 2016 I want to learn more about the following in particular:

1. How to build trees.
2. Better, more realistic ground cover.
3. Scratchbuilding structures.
4. Weathering and adding graffiti to rolling stock.

I have already started this process by amassing a mass of prototype photos to draw on. If I can improve in all these areas in the next year then I will be very happy.

And on that note, I hope you all have a very Happy New Year! More updates on my layout soon...

Attached Files Image(s)

So, to start of my modelling in the New Year I decided to try my hand at lightly weathering a box car. I did this while I was away with work in the hotel room - it's a good way to pass what would otherwise be a boring night! I used MiG weathering powders. I decided against rust spots on the side as I felt this would make it look too worn out, which was not the image I was going for for this, my first attempt (personally, I find it easier to heavily weather a model than to apply light to medium weathering).

Thoughts on this model so far would be really appreciated. How can I improve this? I am thinking some graffiti? Or, perhaps a patch the owners painted on to cover-up some graffiti? For example, something like the first image on this link: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://railroadstrains.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/nokl-571121-single-plug-door-boxcar.html">http://railroadstrains.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... oxcar.html</a><!-- m -->

Or the second image on this link: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://railroadstrains.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/pdrr-boxcar-single-door-railcars-pee.html">http://railroadstrains.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... s-pee.html</a><!-- m -->

Attached Files Image(s)

I have been busy doing some weathering. I have done four cars so far, all pictured. The photos were taken when it was dark outside so I apologise for their poor quality.

Thoughts so far on weathering - I am happy with my efforts so far, at both light and heavy weathering. I have still got some work to do learning how best to blend the powders to achieve specific affects however. Still, that will come with practice. But I am happy with efforts to add light dirt and rain streaks. Next I intend to do some graffiti tags...in model form of course! I also need to add a little more weathering to the bogie trucks of the three most recent cars (pictured) - they are not dirty enough yet. I realised this when I had a close look at them on the layout in their "natural" setting.

I have also begun work on putting up the security fence around the corn syrup unloading facility. Finishing that will be this coming weekend's task.

Attached Files Image(s)

graffiti tags... Its called VANDALISM!
Robert
Modeling the Canadian National prairie region in 1959.
Haha, yes, it is definitely vandalism. Some call it "Art" however - and sometimes it is hard not to agree (in part anyway)!

I have recently bought Mike Cougill's book on switching. I thought it would just be a carbon copy of Lance Mindheim's work, but I was very wrong. Quality-wise it is just as good, but it gives a different perspective on operations - less model railroad focussed, more real-life (not a criticism of Lance's, it's just different). In particular I enjoyed the conversation with the veteran professional model railroader. I also really enjoyed how it went through all of the movements and safety procedures associated with switching one particular fairly nondescript industry. Absolutely worth every penny (cent). I would have been happy to pay twice as much. If anyone is interested: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ostpubs.com/Store/product_info.php?products_id=39">http://www.ostpubs.com/Store/product_in ... ucts_id=39</a><!-- m -->

*Disclaimer - I have no connection with the author. Just a very satisfied customer!
CSX_UK Wrote:...I have recently bought Mike Cougill's book on switching.....
Thanks for the pointer. I love it to have a book virtually immediately on my system.
Reinhard
@Faraway - no problem! Let me know what you think of it if you decide to get it Smile

I managed (finally) to take some photos of my recent efforts at vandalism in natural daylight (a rare luxury!), as well as the chain-link fence that no surrounds my corn syrup unloading spur. The second photo down depicts a patched-up boxcar (perhaps some particularly unpleasant graffiti was sprayed on?!)

The graffiti was applied using decals (produced by Dapol, I think?) I think the end result is ok, but I think if I had the skills to hand paint these tags on myself then that would ultimately look more effective. I am a long way from being able to do this yet though. However, I am practising my skills regularly on scrap cardboard to get to the point where I can attempt it freehand. For now, I will stick with the decals. The key to them is making sure the varnish only covers the decal, and is not smeared all over the car. In some cases I weathered the decal as well - not all graffiti is going to be newly added after all.

This weekend I have also made an inventory of all my rolling stock, indicating what state it is in, and what I need to do with it in the future, i.e., weathering, detailing, etc. I was inspired to do this by this blog post <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://oregontrunk.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/inventory-and-project-planner.html">http://oregontrunk.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... anner.html</a><!-- m --> which provides a template to follow as well. By doing this I hope this concentrates my efforts, while making it easier to identify things that I may need to purchase in the future.

Attached Files Image(s)

CSX_UK Wrote:@Faraway - no problem! Let me know what you think of it if you decide to get it Smile .....

I got the book immediately after reading your append. It is quite unusual in at least two ways.
- The author makes no provisions of copyright protection but delivery an unprotected PDF file. I like that and will refrain from any further distribution. Honest sellers deserve honst clients.
- The content is extreme casual with interviews etc. It is more a collection of information than a traditional book. I will ned some time to adjust my expectation when I buy "book" to the new way of bundling information
- At the bottomline is the net information adequate for the modest price

I consider to buy more books of that series. The PDF file on the iPad makes it the perfect companion at my next vacation.

Did I mention that I like your layout Wink The fence is great!
Reinhard
I agree, it is a very different format from the traditional norm. If you have chance to have a read through his blog the author is very keen on exploring new ways of using the digital format. I am also very keen on the e-format for this kind of thing too. I think the main reason I enjoy Mike Cougill's work is because he doesn't spoon-feed information to his readers - he gives them the tools to go and find that information for themselves and the desire to do so. I'm glad my suggestion went down well Smile

And thank you! That is very kind of you to say Smile Next weekend's work will be to put some warning signs on the fence, and to start work on the pipeline for the corn syrup.
Health & Safety is the most critical aspect of railroading, and it is something I want to integrate into my modelling and my operating more fully.

Therefore, I have taken a picture of my latest idea - a model of the conductor. This figure is on a base so it can be moved around. While it might sound childish, I think this will help me visualise (literally) where he, the conductor, is at all times. Given how important health & safety is to railroad operations I thought that by having the conductor modelled in a way that he could be moved to where he would need to be would help me operate more prototypically as I would always be conscious of where he was. It would also make me pause to think more often about how I switch certain industries, i.e., where switch stands are, gates to be opened, etc. I'll see how this influences my operating sessions and let you all know what happens.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for the tip re. the book. I downloaded a copy that evening. Interesting. As for your conductor, instead of a base, why not put a pin in his foot.
It's a good day when you wake up in the morning. It's not your problem if you don't.
I have posted a few photos of my latest project for my layout - a weathered CP boxcar. This was meant to be a medium level weathering job, but I accidentally went a little overboard with it... This was mainly because the first coat of weathering pigments I applied was not great, so I applied another coat to try and fix it and ended up making the car look heavily weathered. What I should have done is clean off the first coat and start again. This car is going to be used as a spacer boxcar for sulphuric acid carrying tank cars which I am going to store on the rear spur for an off-layout industry.

Areas to improve weathering techniques:

Rust spots (large areas of rust I can do, but small spots of rust have proven to be tricky)
Light road grime - my applications of pigment are too heavy

However, I was pleased with some of the weathering effects. I think working from lots of prototype photos really helps, even if it doesn't guarantee success!

Attached Files Image(s)

I like the conductor idea. I'm ignorant of such things, so I assume he would travel in the loco?

Also, with your graffiti it should probably be nearer track level, unless the vandals responsible carry a ladder, or they do it at some kind of platform...
The graffiti is looking very realistic!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
If I may. Railroad safety covers both employee safety and safe operation covered by the operation rules both goes hand in hand.

How far one wishes to go is a individual thing.

Also railroads still use a brakeman on some locals.

Examples:

A good start would be to learn to couple cars without moving the car you are going to couple to.

The conductor and brakeman would need to be seen by the engineer-a man out of sight could be in a red zone or hurt.

Stopping before making the joint to ensure on knuckle is open and the couplers line up. A 5 second count will suffice.

Before the conductor steps into the red zone( in between) do a 3 second count for applying the three step and another 6-10 second count for the conductor to perform the needed work.

Also in modern times you must stop every time a conductor or brakeman gets on or off the engine or cars.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Now then back in the days of full crews the conductor would stand in a area where he could observe the brakeman going about their work while watching for safety and operation rule infringements.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!