Photobucket vs. Flickr
I am a longtime user of Photobucket and all my photos reside in the Photobucket library. That library is also referred to by all my posting in Big Blue.
Flickr is used in parallel since may years but only to look at others photos. My Flickr account was used as a "read only" account in the past.

Photobucket became over the time a more and more unsatisfactory photo library supplier. They became very slow and handling of my own photos while uploading became very cumbersome due to serious performance problems. Browsing through my photos is virtually impossible as it take minutes to get them on the screen. That makes it very inconvenient to find the right photo to refer to in an append.

I tried Flickr as a replacement today and uploaded lots of my photos to Flickr. I did also to a test posting referring to photos stored in Flickr and it worked great. At this looks Flickr very good to me.

Is there something I must obey or should know before I switch over to Flickr?

ps. I intend to keep the Photobucket account to ensure all the old posts still point to a valid internet address. The account will expire in August 2016.
Reinhard
I just post directly to the forum. A lot easier as it is one less step plus if the link to PB or FLR is ever broken for any reason the pics won't disappear.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I understood Big Blue discontinued it's online photo gallery after some trouble or did I misunderstand your sentence "post directly to the forum"?
Reinhard
I had the same problem recently with PB ....really slow at uploading as well as editing .....like 10 minutes in several cases ! I had forgotten about posting pics directly to Big Blue . I did join Flickr and find it a huge improvement over PB .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
I have been unable to post directly to BB since joining. how is it supposed to be done? :?
I have found a way for a direct posting of pictures here in BB from Flickr.

First the link to this picture on Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/modelsof19...901164893/
And second the pictures posted directly - using the new file name from Flickr "https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1575/23640951703_87e2eb30d7_b.jpg" without each conformity of my own file names as I use them.

[Image: 23640951703_87e2eb30d7_b.jpg]

Here the way as you find this Flickr file name with two or three steps.
  • - Show picture on Flickr which you would post here in BB.
    - Set pointer into picture, right mouse button - a menu will open.
    - Click "page information" and you will find the Meta dates of this page including the file name of your picture.
    - Mark line "og:immage", where you will find the file name which is used by Flickr.
    - "Copy" this line with right mouse button - or use ctr/c.
    - Use Img-button of your text editing form here on BB and insert the temporarely saved file name from Flickr.
This is all, however you must do some steps more. I hope that this will help.
I would be lucky if there will be a more simple way for posting pictures from Flickr here in BB. Please write this.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Photobucket used to be great but they did a whole "upgrade" and changed their site 2-3 years ago which really downgraded and ruined it including for the issues related here. It's sad really how they actually managed to trash what was a really great and very usable photo site. As for Flickr...I have never used it so can't comment.
Yet an addition:
I use Flickr since 8 or 9 months now and it's a good platform to show own pictures to a wide public in own albums and especially in groups of same interests. And you can mark your pictures with information and countless tags so that your pictures can be found by search requests. I think it was not bad decision to use Flickr as a picture platform.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
The only method I know to post here is following the "share" arrow, select BB code and choose the desired size e.g. 800*600 and copy the presented link and strip it down to the IMG part. That is indeed not very user friendly.
e.g. this old photo:

named "https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1500/23643345104_38d0b9b366_c.jpg" on Flickr.

[Image: 23643345104_38d0b9b366_c.jpg]

Most of my photos are available via my home page link http://www.rub-peters.de
Reinhard
I have more than 6,000 photos on flickr, so I suppose that makes it the winner for me. The site has lost some of its edge under Yahoo ownership, but I believe it's still the best solution short of hosting the photos myself. As a bonus, there's a great railroad photography community on the site.
I signed into my Flickr account yesterday for the first time in years. I have to say that I really found it to be pretty useless.....i mean its great if you want to upload every picture on your smartphone or tablet or computer...without any control but otherwise its functionality seems to be seriously lacking. Not impresed. But thats just my opinion.
The upload function is one of the points I like. The "photo" app on my iMac has a direct link to my Flickr account. I mark the photos to be upload and two clicks later is the selection (and only the selection) uploaded.
Reinhard
I guess it works differently on the Mac compared to the app for mobile devices....cuz when I turned on the upload function it started loading every photo on my iPad camera roll into Flickr...NOT what I want!
Reinhard I was refering to posting pics in a thread. I don't use the photo gallery so don't know what the deal is there.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Reinhard I was refering to posting pics in a thread. I don't use the photo gallery so don't know what the deal is there.
I see.
1. I use the iMac as the main repository. All photos from camera, iPhone, iPad etc. all go to the repository (managed by the app photos). That is the center that gets regularly backup etc.
2. The next thing is a shadow of photos to be published hosted somewhere in the internet. That was PB in the past and became Flickr last weekend.
3. The final stage is to add a reference in fora like BigBlue to the shadow like PB or Flickr.

That three step model requires two manual steps to get a photo shown in a forum.

1 - 2: I select photos to be uploaded to Flickr, define the size and seconds later are they stored in the correct Flickr album
2 - 3: I select a photo in Flickr, copy the reference (BB) and past it into the posting.

I do not like to upload all photos to the internet. The iMac under my very control is my central repository.
My internet home page <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rub-peters.de">www.rub-peters.de</a><!-- w --> is directed to the index page of my Flickr account (was Photobucket).
Reinhard