Decaling an Intermountain CSX boxcar to the prototype
I got an intermountain CSX 5277 cubic foot boxcar that I'm going to make appear more prototypical. Intermountain cars are already highly detailed, this is more of a factory scheme correction project. The model has the road number stretching across 3 side panels when it should be 2. I removed the factory decals, applied microscale decals and "reflective" stripes. It's a pretty simple fix to make the model look more prototypical. I was going to renumber it to the boxcar in the photo but didn't want to redecal the ends of the car. It'll also get Athearn Genesis roller bearing trucks, Sergent couplers and pacific western magnetic brake lines. I have about 23 boxcars and about 15 so far are equipped with the Athearn trucks, Sergent couplers and magnetic brake lines. Just waiting on the coupler delivery.

Boxcar from the factory
[Image: image.jpg3_zpsocn8amtn.jpg]

Prototype
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsismizwt3.jpg]

Finished decals
[Image: image.jpg2_zpscurqsn27.jpg]
Out of curiosity are you going to change doors since the models doors is different from the prototype?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:Out of curiosity are you going to change doors since the models doors is different from the prototype?
No
Rscott417 Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:Out of curiosity are you going to change doors since the models doors is different from the prototype?
No

I wouldn't either. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Some of their box cars had the numbers spread over 3 panels. Here are 3 of them in a row These are a different class I assume because of the difference in the side panels. (the one farthest west is the same number of panels and looks like the 2 panel numbering) [ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Brakie Wrote:I wouldn't either. Thumbsup
Yea my OCD isn't that bad 357

Charlie B Wrote:Some of their box cars had the numbers spread over 3 panels. Here are 3 of them in a row These are a different class I assume because of the difference in the side panels. (the one farthest west is the same number of panels and looks like the 2 panel numbering)
Charlie
Yes they're a different class boxcar, the one all the way on the left in your photo isn't the same as the 2 on the right
Yea my OCD isn't that bad 357
-------------------------------------------------
Well with my shaky shake hands I'll just ruin the car if I tried changing the doors..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry