CSX locomotive projects
I received a bottle of Floquil conrail blue in the mail so I'm going to give that a try tomorrow. Also to add to the list of projects I got an intermountain sd40-2 and I have a p2k seaboard system gp38-2 that I was going to use as a lease engine (<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8918">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8918</a><!-- l -->) but I was browsing through csx's roster of gp38-2s and found one that kept the SBD scheme into 2008 which is suitable for my era of interest.
[Image: 100_3128_zpsnfls616m.jpg]
I tried the floquil paint, still not exact but better than the tru-color. I think with weathering and decals it'll be fine, the bright light on it doesn't make it seem how close the colors actually are either.
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsjfb0ddum.jpg]
Also after looking at this photo, that smiley face was 100% unintentional.
I have probable a silly question but why don't you spray the cab and short hood too?
Is there something that needs to be protected I do not see? Disassemble of the cab and the few additional decals are no problem for you.
Reinhard
I'm trying to avoid painting the cab because the "select-a-power" decal that Athearn applied is more legible than Microscales decals, it looks like a white blob that's why I didn't remove it when I removed the numbers from the cab.
Thank you. I did not notice that decal.
Reinhard
Yea it's not noticeable in the pictures I posted. The color of the long hood looks much different in the picture with a LED flashlight pointed at it.
How it looks with some decals applied, worst case I might paint the dynamic brake hatch. That seems to make the color difference stand out the most.
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsoc8ihmop.jpg]
I started working on the Ex-Seaboard engine. Removed the number on the cab (waiting on decals), got the mismatched font in the front number boards, plated the headlight in the cab, and got all the rear pilot details and number boards done. Waiting on a few other parts.
[Image: 20160905_161152_zpsvqmqmvsm.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg1_zps1itbrmvw.jpg]
[Image: 20160905_161209_zpswkq2cuwz.jpg]
Pretty much finished with this ex-Conrail gp40-2, just need to finish the cab number boards and I added another grab iron to the top of the nose but later realized I put the yellow one on the wrong side but not a big deal. The photos really show color difference in the blue but to the naked eye its harder to notice, this plus weathering I think it'll be fine,
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsyz6xm6ob.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg2_zps2oujdyy6.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg4_zpsyfihb9v3.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg3_zpsig7qkdlf.jpg]
This ex-Seaboard GP38-2 and B40-8 are finished up by BradleyDCC.

[Image: DSC00872_zps8tmzwdds.jpg]
[Image: DSC00862_zpsat0ljhuj.jpg]
[Image: DSC00853_zps5ylvk742.jpg]
[Image: DSC00867_zpsctfwpamd.jpg]
[Image: DSC00857_zpsxuphnkxr.jpg]

[Image: DSC00850_zpsxjey4boa.jpg]
[Image: DSC00831_zpsecitcecu.jpg]
[Image: DSC00845_zpszzgpzieb.jpg]
[Image: DSC00834_zpsfhpcvkia.jpg]
You can try Polly Scale's Conrail Blue, it's a tad darker than floquil. But it's easier just to add a couple of drops of black to the paint and try to darken the color there, small mixing cup dab some black in with a toothpick. It's been my experience that every one has their own idea what conrail blue is either it be paint or loco manufacturer.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
I should have added some black to the paint but I'm not overly concerned about it. After speaking with bradleydcc he said it won't be an issue to blend the colors with weathering. The paint on the prototype is different shades of blue anyway.
[Image: 20161014_163423_zpsfx5ddgvo.jpg]
I don't have a lot of projects left on deck. Aside from that ex conrail gp40 I have a gp38-2, possibly an sd40-2 and this gp40-2. I'll probably get some hate for this but I'm going to take this chessie gp40 and give it a yn3 paint job. It already has the correct front and rear plows, radiator grilles, anti climber and mail slot battery box for Csx 6156.
[Image: 20161028_104651_zps45ausbcp.png]
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsknmgqbgk.jpg]
I started working on #6156, applied pilot details, relocated the horn and bell and plated the class lights in the nose and gave it a coat of tru-color primer. I'm going to try to give it a few coats of yn3 blue tonight.
[Image: 20170105_130735_zpsdb0bykut.jpg]
[Image: 20170105_130817_zpsmtsiqa1n.jpg]

I also got a Conrail GP38-2 and a caboose that'll stay in Conrail service
[Image: 36603_zpsteseieuw.jpeg]
Body and roof painted
[Image: 20170105_195022_zpshepyaol9.jpg]