Small Stamp Mill
Thank you Sir

I do plan to 'plant' it on my layout soon.
Anyway here is where it will go:
[Image: DSCF5583_zpsgw2xrtkh.jpg]
It will be replacing the mine structure behind the logging train. However it will require quite a bit more real estate than the current structure so I'm taking the entire mountain side/rock face down so I can build new scenery to suit. Not sure what I'll do with the old mine yet.
One more thing this arrived in the mail yesterday:
[Image: DSCF5579_zpsj3kwqxme.jpg]
I hope that I bought enough, if not I'll use this on the front slopes and I have some leftover bit of roofing that I can use on the backs. Anyway since the roofing material is rather fragile, I think I'll start to fit the structure into the layout before adding it.
I ripped down the rock face:
[Image: DSCF5587_zpshukgrirr.jpg]
[Image: DSCF5588_zpsteijdbbz.jpg]
It took me about an hour to pull the rock face down as well as remove the old mine's foundation, the siding track and the ground cover down to the plywood base.
[Image: DSCF5592_zpskdd7sm8c.jpg]
Then I positioned the mill on the layout.
[Image: DSCF5593_zpstwwiusls.jpg]
It look like I won't have room for the siding after all. Not a huge deal I suppose, now the turnout will have to come out and I'll be re-laying a bit more track.
[Image: DSCF5594_zpsili31yic.jpg]
I'll also have to figure out the scenery angles between the backdrop and the structure.
It would seem to me that you could cut into that angled backdrop, and move the mine far enough back to still have that siding.
Just a thought...... Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I didn't cut the backdrop to move the structure farther in because I need the room in the back for the supply track for the mill and the associated scenery. I'm in the process of rebuilding the scenery around the mill and should have photos soon.
Since I took the last photos I removed more hillsides and scenery so the new scenery will blend better.
[Image: DSCF5640_zpsufofuspi.jpg]
I took he hill running around the corner on the left out as well as leveling everything off on the right so I could stack extruded foam up on a flat surface. The two areas with back rectangles are going to be retaining walls.
[Image: DSCF5641_zpsnsufnonx.jpg]
I made the mill removable for maintenance by framing it's footprint with thinner pieces of foam. I've glued all the foam pieces together with carpenter's glue.
[Image: DSCF5637_zpspvrgssuo.jpg]
my plan is to have the mill's supply track (non-operational) curve in from the left along the foam roadbed I created. I got some old code 70 track from another modeller which I'll be using.
[Image: DSCF5638_zpsaip1cj3t.jpg]
After roughing in the mountain with foam I'll be working with the area to the left of the mill, filling in the hill side like I did with the right.
[Image: DSCF5627_zpsbwtpjocj.jpg]
Last weekend I went on a bit of a shopping spree for this project at an estate sale. after roughing in with foam I'll use the plaster cloth to cover it all before I start to add some rocks and ground cover. I don't plan on building an entire rock face this time, more like hill sides that have rocks showing through.
A bit of progress here:
[Image: DSCF5647_zpscjkhsys4.jpg]
I added the tram track to the mill scenery last night. I used some 1/8" plywood to form the roadbed coming out of the mill. Since I had added a 1/8" floor I had to shim the outside track for the correct level. I glued a piece of track to the floor of the mill, flush on both ends and them added the outside track. The track is glued down with Mocha-colored acrylic caulking. It's the first time I've used it for track and it holds very well.
[Image: DSCF5645_zps0elga0p3.jpg]
A shot of the mill, track and train after everything dried.
[Image: DSCF5646_zpsnzwb4pif.jpg]
While I was at it I finished off the foam formers for the lower scenery, below the track. I plan to fill the spaces with crumpled newspaper before using the plaster cloth to cover. The white block is a plaster casting I'm playing with. I'm thinking of using it in the corner to form a hill/mountainside around the backdrop.
Looking good and it will make for an even more dramatic scene than before .....also gave me some ideas as to how to proceed with an area on my own layout , although not a mining scene .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Thanks T
I filled in the scenery below the tram track today.
[Image: DSCF5648_zpstvjkuytk.jpg]
I filled the gaps between the foam with crumpled newspaper and small foam cut offs
[Image: DSCF5651_zps4gqazi3e.jpg]
Then I used Woodland Scenics plaster cloth to cover it all. I was surprised how easy it was, and relatively mess-free. I just cut the cloth into pieces, dipped them in water and laid them over the formers.
[Image: DSCF5652_zpscl6riffe.jpg]
I used just under one roll to do what you see here and the plastering took about 20 minutes. I still have the hillside above the track to do yet. I started to glue the formers into this area as well.
Thumbsup cool stuff Thumbsup
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Thanks
I completed the hardshell and rockwork to the point of adding color last night.
I first added the hillside above the track, around the corner
[Image: DSCF5655_zpsldyzmqqc.jpg]
I used that nice rock casting on the corner and build the hillside around it.
[Image: DSCF5656_zpso6zip5m4.jpg]
Then I added a few more rocks to the slopes and blended it all in with some plaster. I also gave all the hardshell a coat of carving plaster to cover the plaster cloth texture.
[Image: DSCF5657_zpss5r2a6ga.jpg]
Next is some rock staining/coloring. I got the Woodland Scenics earth color kit and am doing some research on colors. Hopefully I'll be on that part of the project shortly
Sumpter250 Wrote:It would seem to me that you could cut into that angled backdrop, and move the mine far enough back to still have that siding.
Just a thought...... Cheers
I agree....A little snipping here and there should give you enough room...I think...
Gus (LC&P).
Thanks but I really don't have to room for everything:
[Image: DSCF5665_zpsqiqcaqzo.jpg]
as you can see the mill is right against the backdrop and the space between the tram track and the backdrop will be needed for scenery the will hide the joint. On the main track side I still have to build and install a loading dock between the mill that the track so that real estate is already spoken for as well.

I colored the rock castings yesterday. I used Woodland Scenics 'Leopard-spot' technique as shown in a couple videos on their website.
[Image: DSCF5658_zpsu2ckbkup.jpg]
I used the colors out of their earth color kit, Yellow ochre, Burnt Umber, and Black. The Raw umber was missing from the set so I had to buy that separate.
[Image: DSCF5659_zpswbeb6gh2.jpg]
I mixed the Yellow, burnt umber and black at 1 part color to 16 parts water, and the raw umber at 1 part color to 32 parts water (they are really concentrated)
[Image: DSCF5660_zpsbdlv6gue.jpg]
I started with dabbing the yellow across about 1/3 of the rock, followed by burnt umber at the same. I let the two mix a bit at the edges, then I applied a wash over the entire casting using the raw umber mix.
[Image: DSCF5661_zpsfpmppqlx.jpg]
I did the same with the corner rock. After I was happy with the colors I sealed it with some woodland scenics Scenic Cement (which I suspect is just diluted matt Medium)
[Image: DSCF5662_zpsagfnos0o.jpg]
After the Matt Medium dried I applied a wash of black over the entire casting. This brings out the cracks and crevices in the casting, making it more life-like.
[Image: DSCF5663_zpsbadhv8nk.jpg]
[Image: DSCF5664_zpsrae5bs2u.jpg]
After that dried I sealed it again with some matt medium again. while I was at it yesterday I sprayed the track with two tones of rust paint to begin it's weathering. I'll be painting the ties with driftwood and pine stain next and then paint the rest of the hillsides to get ready for ground covering.
Glen, the scene is really taking shape now! BTW, I love the tram!

Keep up the good work!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
cnrglen Wrote:I didn't cut the backdrop to move the structure farther in because I need the room in the back for the supply track for the mill and the associated scenery. I'm in the process of rebuilding the scenery around the mill and should have photos soon.
Cheers Seeing what you have done........I now fully understand.
You've done some beautiful work there, and the Mill looks right at home in that setting. Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks guys.
I painted the hardshell last night:
[Image: DSCF5668_zpsyhqtfln5.jpg]
I just used an neutral acrylic tan color so I can lay my ground cover over it in a bit.
[Image: DSCF5669_zpsjds0fpsw.jpg]
my idea for this area below the tram track is it was a dumping area for the stamp mill waste so I was going to use this as it's cover:
[Image: DSCF5670_zpsazsci1qc.jpg]
it's some loose soil/dirt I picked up a few years ago by an old railway cut. I'll sift it to get the larger pebbles out but it has some nice browns to orangeish tans in there. I'll probably fill in other areas with a mix of Woodland Scenics ground cover and static grass.
[Image: DSCF5672_zps4rntghx0.jpg]
Finally I painted the ties with some driftwood and pine stains. I might use some A&I to tone them down but I'll ballast first. I have some fine dark brown ballast that will work nicely.