ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud
The blue one probably won't be an issue but that one to the far left will be so flimsy it won't stop a locomotive from tipping off the layout (I assume that's what you meant by protecting it) you're probably better off gluing a couple shipping containers down not double stacked to make uncoupling and/or throwing your switch easier
Rscott417 Wrote:The blue one probably won't be an issue but that one to the far left will be so flimsy it won't stop a locomotive from tipping off the layout (I assume that's what you meant by protecting it) you're probably better off gluing a couple shipping containers down not double stacked to make uncoupling and/or throwing your switch easier

Thanks Rscott417, will keep that in mind.

I scratch build all my structures form Styrene, same as the containers that one buys, so happy that I can get it as strong as I need it and glue it in place. As for uncoupling the loco coupler that needs to be accessed, it will be within view or reach at all times and looking through my operations rehearsals I would only ever have the loco going behind there on its own or with cars attached that wont need uncoupling . Even if I do though for some odd reason, I had the same situation in my last layout behind the industry on the front and didn't find it to be an issue at all.
I realized afterwards you probably won't need to do any uncoupling. I had a very small portion of a foreground building on a layout I was building for the same reasons you listed and it was really tough to keep it standing up correctly on its own and still look convincing. If you have an idea in mind already I'll be interested to see how you pull it off.
Rscott417 Wrote:I realized afterwards you probably won't need to do any uncoupling. I had a very small portion of a foreground building on a layout I was building for the same reasons you listed and it was really tough to keep it standing up correctly on its own and still look convincing. If you have an idea in mind already I'll be interested to see how you pull it off.

This never fell or was flimsy from my last layout and it was as thin as you can get, had to uncouple over it too (skewer method):

Yea you have that nice loading dock to keep it stable, mine was the worst. The idea was to hide the end of the layout but looking back I should have made it deeper. I wanted to make it look like a former rail served facility and I had skewers glued to it and pushed into the foam to keep it upright, either way it wasn't great. [Image: imagejpg2_zps6db54320.jpg]
Yet another option....but worried about all the building lines being confusing.

You seem pretty settled on the track (and it's looking good), I'd just wait until you've got it laid out now, and do some cereal packet mock ups, that will be much more use than a procession of 2D drawings.
Zomboid Wrote:You seem pretty settled on the track (and it's looking good), I'd just wait until you've got it laid out now, and do some cereal packet mock ups, that will be much more use than a procession of 2D drawings.

I do a lot of planning, run switch lists through my mind and picture the scenes as they evolve. I know it might seem frustrating to some but I will be taking this slowly till I get all the pieces needed to start. 35

If tired of 2D then...

I understand the situation, I think I prefer planning layouts to any other part of this hobby. Probably because my poor workmanship doesn't disappoint when it's just an idea...
How do you do that 3D stuff? It looks like anyrail, but I can't get those kind of results from it...
As you can see I enjoy drawing up designs, gets a bit much for some though I guess.

The 3D is created with Google Sketchup, free! All you do un import a JPG of the plan and drag it to the correct dimensions. Next all i do is draw over the shapes and drag the surfaces to the hight I need and color and fill. Its a very easy program and has so many uses.

So as you would expect I cant post anything here without a "latest" plan....well....as I said in the title of this thread its my ISL and I'm "thinking out loud" so here is another thought which if I go for a proto-freelance of Trujillo will work quite well. I haven't run through switching scenarios yet so there may be the odd glitch....looks cool though Goldth

Now that one, Trujillo, I DO like - I particularly like the road across the middle - Plenty of "upsetting the sheriff by blocking the crossings" opportunities! Nope Just don't block them and go to beans - he'll ticket you! 357
I agree with Jack, the Trujillo latest version have a lot of visual appeal. The scene is well composed.

While I do enjoy drawing, planning and running trains in my head, I found making very small scale mock up with bits of cardboards on a printed plan is an excellent way to visualize a layout in "real". While the SketchUp views are interesting (I used a few of them to test ideas of mine), the scale mock up is always better to really grasp the final product.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Agreed Matt! Nothing beets a real life mock-up. Im still awaiting my ME Code 70 track and turnouts, nobody stocks it in South Africa sso it had to be brought in on special order. In fact nobody stocks the stuff I need in this country!!
Well done! That mock up brings the layout to life.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Here is a 3D of the Trujillo Layout