Frankenstein lease engine
I came across a picture of this gp40 a few years ago and thought it would make an interesting model. It's the definition of rent-a-wreck with 3 different variations of rr schemes and donor parts. It's the only picture I've seen of it and I'm not totally sure who owns it. I've searched on rr picture archive for WC 3008, WC 3015, BN 3008 and VMV 3008 and nothing came up. It's confusing because the number board has 3008 but the rear hood dons a WC 3015 and the VMV across the old BN logo doesn't really stand out. I think if I try to replicate it the number boards and hood will have the same number for the sake of simplifying it, that or some sort of fantasy lease company. If I go that route I figure a large majority of lease company reporting marks end with an X and I'm a fan of punk music I thought for $h!t$ and giggles the reporting marks could be NOFX and go with a similar decrepit scheme. Either way the model will be a gp38-2 just because I have a seaboard system 38-2 I can use. If anyone has info on this engine I'd definitely like to hear about it and get some feedback and ideas.
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsgpqlthgc.jpg]
Wow, I've seen some weird paint schemes, but this takes the cake.... I wonder what it looks like behind those panels, truly a Frankenstein inside and out I'll bet.

Thanks for sharing. Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I like how some of the Wisconsin Central doors are actually from the other side of whatever locomotive they took them from. the letters are all out of order! I'll bet it didn't last long in this condition. Probably painted it not long after!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Rscott417 Wrote:I came across a picture of this gp40 a few years ago and thought it would make an interesting model. It's the definition of rent-a-wreck with 3 different variations of rr schemes and donor parts. It's the only picture I've seen of it and I'm not totally sure who owns it. I've searched on rr picture archive for WC 3008, WC 3015, BN 3008 and VMV 3008 and nothing came up. It's confusing because the number board has 3008 but the rear hood dons a WC 3015 and the VMV across the old BN logo doesn't really stand out. I think if I try to replicate it the number boards and hood will have the same number for the sake of simplifying it, that or some sort of fantasy lease company. If I go that route I figure a large majority of lease company reporting marks end with an X and I'm a fan of punk music I thought for $h!t$ and giggles the reporting marks could be NOFX and go with a similar decrepit scheme. Either way the model will be a gp38-2 just because I have a seaboard system 38-2 I can use. If anyone has info on this engine I'd definitely like to hear about it and get some feedback and ideas.

Alright, Here is the story. Its Wisconsin Central 3018. Here are a few other pictures of it, a tad cleaned up. The original 3008 was wrecked, but I guess they decided to not re-use that number, so it became WC 3018. The actual locomotive is an ex-SCL unit, exx SBD

[Image: 3176722168_76ecdc6ddd.jpg]

[Image: 3568244349_e3e0a4b3aa.jpg]

Here is a picture of what appears to be the other side. Note that its only "BN" on one half of the cab!

[Image: 3008-quilt-unit-rt-side-04-24-1995-sp-ca...to_895.jpg]

As predicted, it didn't stay that way long

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locopicture.aspx?id=37087&Page=1">http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locopi ... 087&Page=1</a><!-- m -->
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green elite thanks for the pictures, I had a feeling it didn't stay in that condition long. It's interesting that only half the cab is BN. I think I'll go with my second option with a freelance lease company and patch old logos and road numbers.
Big Grin Big Grin It's like that Johnny Cash song.. "One Piece At A Time"

I agree: Thanks for the explanation GEC!! Thumbsup
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I could easily see Jeffery doing something like this.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
FiatFan Wrote:I could easily see Jeffery doing something like this.

Tom
Goldth Goldth I thought the same thing when I saw the title of the thread!! ~~~~~~ Frank-N-Diesel!!!!! ~~~~~~

Icon_lol Icon_lol
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Doing a model like that would be a fitting tribute to our departed and missed frirnd.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Catt Wrote:Doing a model like that would be a fitting tribute to our departed and missed frirnd.
I'm already in the planning stage Smile Smile

.................. I wonder what it will look like in 1:20.3 Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ngauger Wrote:.................. I wonder what it will look like in 1:20.3 Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Are you done yet? Applause

Tom

Ok..... How does this sound???

If I can find an engine... The nose will be the Big Blue logo

The sides will have parts of the following logos:

Conrail or Penn Central - Chessie4155
Something to do with GERN - jmarksbery
Curtis Steel - Matthyro (Robin)
Lehigh Susquehanna & Western - P5se Camelback - Bil Marsland
Louisiana & Arkansas - Running Bear/Jeffrey Wimberly/Dr. Frank-n-Diesel
Coon Creek - Shamus - Paul Templer
Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha - "Omaha Road" - Stienjr
WT - WT fan
MBL - yellowlynn - Lynn Canfield

Have to see what I come up with in the drawings, but I'm guessing half on each side. That way. the loco will be a tribute to all the Big Blue "Fallen Flag members"....

Any ideas will be most welcome Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Mikey
You DA MAN! Thumbsup Thumbsup :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
That is outstanding!!!

Tom

That's a great idea Mikey.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.