Atlas Snap Track Timesaver ISL Variations
In Model Railroader’s October 1976 issue, Russ Cain came up with an Atlas Snap Track Timesaver measuring 68x10 inches with a folding & portable benchwork that has 17x10 inch wings on the ends that collapsed the layout into a 34x10 inch easy to carry layout. I then saw someone built the layout while I was attending an NMRA Sunrise Trail Division meet a few years back.

In my drawings, I expanded the layout to 7x1 foot (folds into 42x12 inches) and 8x1 foot (folds into 48x12 inches) variations. I plan to make the layout especially portable by using the benchwork to store the rolling stock, power pack, and layout legs inside the framework. The turnouts will be my specialty, 18 inch radius Snap Track turnouts.

I figure that I will use between 2 and 4 cars during an operating session

7x1 foot (folds into 42x12 inches)

8x1 foot (folds into 48x12 inches)

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
It would be interesting to see these built, since the separation line in each layout runs right through one or more turnouts. I would love to see how such a challenge is overcome.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Actually, the split ends before the turnouts. I'm using small fill in track pieces to fill in the gaps.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

I'm unclear...are you building the 8ft or the 7 ft one?

Let me make your project even more portable......make it out of basswood and balsawood Big Grin
I plan on building the 8x1 foot one. I'm just waiting for time to become available. I just threw these out for track plan ideas. I plan on a wood frame with foam on the surface.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Tom:
Mike is splitting his layout at the 2' and 6' marks.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Ahh! Now I understand. Thanks.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Sorry that I didn't explain that better.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

What about to build this in N scale?
Here's my version of John Allen's Time Saver. Got rid of the switchback by using a Xing there. It also gives more places to switch. Also added a small yard so there's less 0-5-0 rolling stock. >)
attachment=0]basic timesaver-001.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Image(s)

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Andy, Your time saver reminds of the one I seen at a show back in '89 in Columbus.. It was a 2' x 8'.. I not a fan of time savers but,that layout was one of the few TS that caught my eye. I had to look hard to see it was a TS.

Mike,You planning on using snap track? The reason I ask is because on some of my smaller ISLs I used snap track and snap switches..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I have a bunch of Atlas Code 83 Snap Track. That's what I plan on using.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Here's a version based on Andy's design above. In order to accommodate the crossover in Atlas Snap Track, I had to widen the layout to 18 inches.

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:I have a bunch of Atlas Code 83 Snap Track. That's what I plan on using.

Cool! What I like about snap track it sounds like jointed rail when metal wheels rolls over the joints even at switching speed.

Almost forgot.. I really like the plan with the crossing since it adds flavor to a tight industrial area.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I love that sound too Larry! I plan on using metal wheel sets.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines