Creative Photo Chopping: A Tutorial
Lots of folks have been asking me how make those cool pics that I post.
Some ask why?

Well since my layout is in the attic, and with a sloped roof, I have no room for a backdrop. So instead of being embarrased by showing my models, with roof joists or cheesy wood paneling as a back drop, I Photoshop real life backgrounds into my pics. In my opinion, having my models, in front of real life backgrounds, make my models look real. And I've been known to fool some folks into thinking that they are real. Questions like, "Where was that taken?", or "I've never heard of the Southwick and Winsted..", or even better, "The New Haven wasn't even around to own an SD70(regarding my retro paints...But thats another story).

To start with, you need a good, photo editing program. You maybe able to do what I'm about to show you with the program that came with your digital camera, but they usually only give you enough tools to fix exposures, crop out unwanted portions.
I prefer using an aftermarket program, such as Corel, or what I use Microsoft Picture It v10. There is a couple that you can download for free from the internet. These programs have tools you can use for fixing your pictures, but also have extras, to cut out individual objects, add shapes and text to your pics, and even save in different formats, and pixel sizes.

I'm going to demostrate using the Picture It program.

The first is to take a picture of your model. Make sure that all the objects are sharp and in focus. I'm starting by using a picture of my S&W SD35 and GP38. You can see, that the raw picture the background is un interesting.(Click on pic to see larger)

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I'm going to cut everything above and some in front of the locos. To do this I'm going to use the "freehand" tool, and trace around the locos.
The next pic you'll see what you should be left with.
Also, don't forget to cut out the spaces in handrails, grab irons, and windows.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
After, you are satisfied, with everything that you wanted to remove, you need a background. I'm picking one that I took of my neighborhood during an approaching storm. A good background is one taken from a distance. After picking one that looks good, you can start by using the "grab" tool(#2), or the selction tool(#1). On the right you'll see the background highlighted(#3), you then drag the "cutout"(#4) on to the backdrop. Its going to take some positioning, and stretching to get the photo fit the background. This all can be done with the selection tool and your mouse.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
And there you have, a quick tutorial on how to chop your picture of your models, into real life backgrounds.
Thsi is a different background that I used, but..you get the point.

Next:I'll show you how to put your models in between real life foregrounds using Picture It.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
Ed, Thanks for posting this, I can't believe I missed it, especially after asking you for it.
Now I really feel stupid. Thanks again.
Charlie