Airbrush Question
Hopefully soon i will be getting this airbrush and compressor:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti...LXDD38&P=M

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti...LXNBB6&P=7

The airbrush comes with #1, 3, and 5 tips. How fine is the #1? will this be fine enough to do small details and such? If not can i get a smaller tip like this?

http://www.myatomic.com/Paasche-1-Fine-T...04151.html

Or is this one that same one that is included in the set already? In the description it says for use with H and HS series airbrushes, would this work with the VL-Set in the first link?

I guess my question is the #1 fine tip is finer then the #1 tip that comes with the airbrush already? And if it is could i use it with this airbrush?

Thanks in advance
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
josh,that is the same airbush i have and first off ill say it is a very good brush.its very well built,easy to clean and reliable.i believe the #1 tip is the smallest for that brush and it works fine for me.im no airbrushing expert but if i want to paint small details (grabs,handrails,horns,etc) i use a regular brush.but for masking and painting entire locos and cars its very capable.im guessing your buying this to paint your new layouts stock. it should work fine with that tip,if you want to know what kind of details it will paint just look at the spray pattern.the #1 is 1/32-1".--josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
That's a good price on the VL, Josh - I payed almost $100.00 for mine, and that was 30 years ago. It came with only the #1 tip and needle, and that's still all that I've ever used. Make sure to clean it thoroughly immediately after use and it'll last a lifetime.

Wayne
I have a question about air compressors.

The small ones that are marketed for airbrushing. Are they any better in terms of quality and operation as far as say a small oil free 100 psi Campbell Hausfeld small tank compressor is? Are they quieter? I noticed the one Josh is checking out is tank-less. I don't remember where I read it, but somewhere I thought it was mentioned that tank-less compressors are not good for airbrushing. Is this true?

The CH one I have will pump up to a 100 psi and has a regulator and filter/moisture trap on it. The only beef I have with it, is that it is LOUD especially when I fire it up inside the house. I've been toying with the idea of putting it on the other side of the wall cinder block into our cold room, however I'm worried about the adverse effects the cold may have on it in the winter time. It's only the initial start up cycle which requires it to pump the tank up to 100 psi then I can set the regulator for airbrushing...it just every time it kicks on after that too... :oops:

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Josh and Wayne, that answered my questions Misngth

Wayne it is a great price for both the compressor and the airbrush, i just need to buy it before that great price is no more LOL
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
tetters Wrote:I have a question about air compressors.

The small ones that are marketed for airbrushing. Are they any better in terms of quality and operation as far as say a small oil free 100 psi Campbell Hausfeld small tank compressor is? Are they quieter? I noticed the one Josh is checking out is tank-less. I don't remember where I read it, but somewhere I thought it was mentioned that tank-less compressors are not good for airbrushing. Is this true?

The CH one I have will pump up to a 100 psi and has a regulator and filter/moisture trap on it. The only beef I have with it, is that it is LOUD especially when I fire it up inside the house. I've been toying with the idea of putting it on the other side of the wall cinder block into our cold room, however I'm worried about the adverse effects the cold may have on it in the winter time. It's only the initial start up cycle which requires it to pump the tank up to 100 psi then I can set the regulator for airbrushing...it just every time it kicks on after that too... :oops:

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I havnt ths slightest idea Shane, but i now someone can answer it Misngth

The compressor i posted is supposed to be one of the more quiet ones and its got some nice features like the auto-shut off..... Misngth thats what really caught my attention lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
BTW - Sorry to hijack your thread bro. I just got to thinking about this when I read your post. 790_smiley_picking_a_fight
tetters Wrote:BTW - Sorry to hijack your thread bro. I just got to thinking about this when I read your post. 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

LOL No worries Cheers
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Shane, most compressors don't like cold, especially for start-up. This is usually because the thicker oil at low temperatures over-taxes the motor, and, if there was moisture in the system from previous use, it could also be frozen. Even an oil-less compressor can be affected by cold - I had a small diaphram type in my garage that I attempted to use one winter (not for airbrushing), figuring no oil - no problem. Unfortunately, the diaphram ruptured, probably because it wasn't flexible enough in the cold. Eek
If you store your compressor in a warm area, though, then put it into the cold cellar only when you want to use it, it should work fine. Don't forget to take it out of there when you've finished airbrushing, though, and remember to drain the moisture out of the tank.
As for tankless compressors not being any good for airbrushing, I'd say it's a myth: if you have a regulator on the output and the compressor can keep it on the set pressure, you should be fine. The one which I use was built from a truck airbrake compressor - it has a tank, but only of about one quart capacity. The compressor runs constantly, venting air when the pressure exceeds the set limit, but I've had no problems using it. Airbrushing doesn't require a very large volume of air.

Wayne
That's good know Wayne. About the compressor use and the myth of tank vs. tank-less.

I guess the only question is the noise level. Does a quality hobby compressor produce a lot of noise or, for lack of a better term, produce an acceptable amount?
doctorwayne Wrote:Shane, most compressors don't like cold, especially for start-up. This is usually because the thicker oil at low temperatures over-taxes the motor, and, if there was moisture in the system from previous use, it could also be frozen. Even an oil-less compressor can be affected by cold - I had a small diaphram type in my garage that I attempted to use one winter (not for airbrushing), figuring no oil - no problem. Unfortunately, the diaphram ruptured, probably because it wasn't flexible enough in the cold. Eek
If you store your compressor in a warm area, though, then put it into the cold cellar only when you want to use it, it should work fine. Don't forget to take it out of there when you've finished airbrushing, though, and remember to drain the moisture out of the tank.
As for tankless compressors not being any good for airbrushing, I'd say it's a myth: if you have a regulator on the output and the compressor can keep it on the set pressure, you should be fine. The one which I use was built from a truck airbrake compressor - it has a tank, but only of about one quart capacity. The compressor runs constantly, venting air when the pressure exceeds the set limit, but I've had no problems using it. Airbrushing doesn't require a very large volume of air.

Wayne

Wayne if you are using a A/B compressor are you just using a set pop off ? if you are the A/B compressor is set up with a unload-er valve in you use that then the compressor will just free wheel.
Jim