Freelance 2017-1
Hi Andy. Yes, the doors etc. all needs to be done. The plain white boards look similar to modern industry buildings but that is by chance. The raw boards are the base of the buildings only like I got brown raw structures from press board.
The main difference is how easy the foam board can be worked with. They are the perfect material to be used in a condo or apartment if no workshop is available. Daniel uses similar material during his lunch break.

This "streetview" of the construction area shows the raw walls
[Image: 31819304694_8198349c1b_c.jpg]IMG_5358 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
Some progress with the superstructure today.
The lower walls of the two main buildings got laminated with evergreen #4530 metal siding. The walls are to large and uniform to have with 2D printed paper the same effect as with 3D styrene.

[Image: 31861827353_8d31a42703_c.jpg]IMG_5360 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
Wrong photo?
No, the modern white buildings did not come out as expected. It was a boring replica of earlier modern structures at the same spot. It was driven by the idea to run modern covered plastic pellet hoppers but it lacked a new idea how to do the industry.

The large boards have the advantage to test some new ideas at reasonable cost. Can you imagine to build a structure of that size from Cornerstone kits and scrap it after two days...?

[Image: 32559847141_be937562d5_c.jpg]IMG_5362 by faraway52, on Flickr

A photo from 8.January 2016 shows how I repeated myself unintentionally.
[Image: 24188440741_50acf80592_c.jpg]IMG_4660 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
Whether it's traditional older buildings and operating era, same structures in more recent times, or newer buildings with current-day operations, your layout is always entertaining to me, and your attention to detail teaches all of us the important role it plays in presenting a convincing "look" to the scenes.
As always Reinhard, very nice work! Applause Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
The brick structures definitely add more to the scene than the modern ones - though both are superbly modelled, as always. Smile
Thanks for the supporting comments. Brick structures fit this layout better. The first press board based structure is reused and laminated with brick texture. Horizontal and vertical concrete pillars with 3D effect are used the first time.

[Image: 31862428494_5c75ab4d06_c.jpg]IMG_0882 by faraway52, on Flickr
[Image: 32705289255_ebb78a77f2_c.jpg]IMG_0881 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
Looks very good.
Your layout looks better and more realistic with each new detail. Nice to follow the progress!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Old, new doesn't much matter both look excellent! Cheers Applause Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Both scene's look awesome, but for me I would lean towards the brick.

Cheers
Andy Kramer - modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin
The Milwaukee Road is alive and well and running in my basement
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.milwaukeemodelers.net">www.milwaukeemodelers.net</a><!-- w -->
The smaller lefthand building got the same design as the L shape building in the corner.

[Image: 32598700062_e99032f3d8_c.jpg]IMG_5365 by faraway52, on Flickr

The Cornerstone building in the foreground may be replaced with a home grown building. It's architectural style does not really match the old main building (based on Middlesex kit) and the new CleverModels laminated buildings.

[Image: 32752228735_19e71a661a_c.jpg]IMG_5366 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
Reinhard
Have seen a lot of steel coils on trucks & they've all been verticle. Here's pix on Google:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.google.com/search?q=Steel+coils+carried+on+trucks&newwindow=1&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihu6Go3_zRAhULslQKHZUgDhkQ_AUICCgB&biw=1093&bih=451">https://www.google.com/search?q=Steel+c ... 93&bih=451</a><!-- m -->
There's even some that show them having rolled off the trailers as in ouch. >)
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
This structure might be a nice fit ones it is completed. Looks like Daniel uses the same model for kit bashing.
The 3D effect is made by two layers of 3mm foam board. The left one is already trimmed. The other two walls will be trimmed after the glue has set. I wonder if I should try 45° angles at the ends of the walls to join the corners.

[Image: 32601819952_d26741fac2_c.jpg]IMG_5367 by faraway52, on Flickr

@Andy, I think it would be hard to left them up ones they lay flat on the floor.
Reinhard
Now that extension I DO like.
The most part is done.
It is a very interesting experience to learn how important texture is. It opens my eyes why some simple shaped building on Lance's layout look so good. They are laminated with photos and get the perfect texture of the prototype.

[Image: 32610881632_1b904a58b7_c.jpg]IMG_5369 by faraway52, on Flickr
[Image: 32610881452_f08ba1a6c1_c.jpg]IMG_5368 by faraway52, on Flickr

ps. I did all the little white spots after posting this append. The standard method is a black or brown felt pen. I think that is to harsh. A strong black wash applied with a small brush at the failure spots made with lots of alcohol and little water blends more nice with the printed colors. A layer of dull coats help also to protect the print colors from the wash.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Hi Andy. Yes, the doors etc. all needs to be done. The plain white boards look similar to modern industry buildings but that is by chance. The raw boards are the base of the buildings only like I got brown raw structures from press board.
The main difference is how easy the foam board can be worked with. They are the perfect material to be used in a condo or apartment if no workshop is available. Daniel uses similar material during his lunch break.

This "streetview" of the construction area shows the raw walls
[Image: 31819304694_8198349c1b_c.jpg]IMG_5358 by faraway52, on Flickr

Are those bulk trailers from shapeways?