Freelance 2017-1
lajry Wrote:Reinhard
Would be very tempted to put a dock in front of the "fill in" building for 1 more car to load/unload.

Andy, IMHO that would defeat the purpose of the connecting "tunnel" which again IMHO is a excellent touch.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Well since my MR is for switching ONLY, finding even one more spot for a freight car is a big PLUS!
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
lajry Wrote:Well since my MR is for switching ONLY, finding even one more spot for a freight car is a big PLUS!

I been building ISLs since the 60s and back switching layouts wasn't cool because the mindset was switching layouts was a waste of time or should be designed as a time saver-some still believe that. I still avoid filling my ISL with car spots and time wast--er,saver designs...
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

To each his own but no way mine will never be roundy round! >)
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
lajry Wrote:To each his own but no way mine will never be roundy round! >)

Nor will mine.. I learn at a early age I enjoy switching far more then loop running.

We really need a "like" button.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Thumbsup
John Smatlak's photos show an enormous amount if trash around the tracks in Chicago in the mid 80s. The coffee grinder was helpful to create trash.

[Image: 32626830760_e8c6b80ded_c.jpg]IMG_5397 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
Love the trash look..What did you use for the ground trash?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:Love the trash look..What did you use for the ground trash?
I had some residuals of an old caboose kit. It is mostly wood with some stick and peel paper, some plastic and a few metal casts. The old coffee grinder suffered from the casts and got a new enforcement in the plastic cap.

I forgot: A splash of Indian ink and some alcohol. It will dry within a few minutes and the wood looks old and bleached.
Reinhard
The modern Cat loader got replaced by an old bulldozer for a better fit of the 80s.
The bulldozer is a German model of the brand Wiking and arrived today in the mail. I had the same little model when I was a child and it felt very familiar to me. Big surprise when I looked at the base plate. "Berlin-W" is imprinted. Wiking never changed the forms. It is still "West-Berlin" in "West Germany" as it was used in the 1950s and 1960s.

[Image: 32906953181_f830780295_c.jpg]
Reinhard
Another kind of stuff laying around on the right of way looks like debris. It might be pieces of concrete or broken modern light gray colored bricks. A "cooky" of gypsum and Indian ink looks similar after treatment with a hammer.

[Image: 33037280295_57d04b302d_c.jpg]

and some brown bags too
[Image: 32198265644_e9c7f30787_c.jpg]
[Image: 32198265454_41d1e84182_c.jpg]
Reinhard
It is interesting how trash changes the the overall impression of the layout from the birds view. It has a lot in common with graffiti. You like it or you hate.
Anyhow, that ends my trash topic.

[Image: 32923043331_8c888e9402_c.jpg]
[Image: 32204381714_7dab1c29ec_c.jpg]
[Image: 32204381944_5c04d234e3_c.jpg]
[Image: 32204382034_f3b0393f74_c.jpg]
[Image: 32204382094_7af7a9e639_c.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard,I really like the detailing you are doing.. Thumbsup IMHO such details brings a layout to life.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Thanks for the nice comment.
ps. The very light gray gypsum debris got a black wash to be less flashy.
Reinhard
Really good stuff Reinhard Thumbsup