Cary S-2's
Just a quick update while I'm working with the second drive.
[Image: DSCF6850_zpsujnrmklk.jpg]
I added the last details to the two shells and sprayed them with a flat black primer. I'll be spraying a different black over this once the primer cures.
Sweet lookers! Thumbsup Thumbsup Applause
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Thanks Larry.
I airbrushed the black on the two today:
[Image: DSCF6852_zpsrcxnei7l.jpg]
I know it doesn't look like a huge color difference but I used a custom mix of black, roof brown and a medium gray to make a slightly warmer, off-black that will look better in the indoors and won't hide the detail like straight black would. After this cures overnight I'll spray gloss clear over them for decaling.
cnrglen Wrote:I know it doesn't look like a huge color difference but I used a custom mix of black, roof brown and a medium gray to make a slightly warmer, off-black that will look better in the indoors and won't hide the detail like straight black would.
Hmmmmm, food for thought.
Looking good Thumbsup
Cheers, the Bear.
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
I guess I should update this thread. With the summer-like weather finally here the workshop has slowed down.
Anyway I started to decal the two engines and completed the Canadian National one this evening:
[Image: DSCF6874_zpsjdsudzmo.jpg]
I used some vintage Accu-cals on it, managing to find some that work. Depending on how they were stored they will keep for years.
Looking at a number of photos I found that some of the lower stripes went over the handrail stantions and some did not. I opted for the later since it was easier than trying to form them over the stantions.
[Image: DSCF6875_zps043lbb9j.jpg]
The front and rear stripes were a challenge since I had to slide them under the coupler cut bars but over the handrail stantions as well.
[Image: DSCF6877_zpshvlfo7nl.jpg]
[Image: DSCF6878_zpspvpzlefe.jpg]
After the decals had set up I sprayed the engine down with Testors Glosscote again to blend the decals into the paint job. when that dries I'll give it one more spray with dulcote and then a light weathering. I'm about halfway through the decaling on the CPR engine and I should get that done soon
Sweet! Very nice.. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Looks like it's coming along nicely.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
These are looking real good Thumbsup

I see you broke out that Tamiya stand. What do you think? It's a far improvement for me from when I was balancing thing on rattle can lids 35

Mark
That looks good. The glossy black and the golden parts make a beautiful paint scheme
Reinhard
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
Thanks everyone. I completed the decal job on the Canadian Pacific one last night:
[Image: DSCF6879_zps7fkmqhbi.jpg]
The Decals came from Black Cat and they are layered as to their color. I first had to place the maroon decals down, then I sealed the model, and then I added the yellow/gold.
[Image: DSCF6880%201_zpsndm5vkes.jpg]
the small warning signs on the footboards also came in two parts.
[img]h[Image: DSCF6882_zpsgg65roqr.jpg]
[Image: DSCF6882_zpsgg65roqr.jpg]
I'll let the glosscote dry for a couple days before shooting both shells with dulcote, then I can turn my attention to the windows and finish up the chassis.

[Image: DSCF6883_zpsivptdujt.jpg]
The Tamiya paint stand makes a big difference when painting shells. I made my own a number of years ago from wood and wire but this beats anything I could make.
While the glosscote was curing I turned my attention to the second frame/drive. I managed to find a really cheap athearn SW-7.
[Image: DSCF6884_zpsh6pxro9t.jpg]
That just happened to have the newer trucks with the plastic sideframes. I did a quick switch of the trucks so I can track down a second set of Alco Blunt sideframes and both of my S-2's will have the correct trucks.
[Image: DSCF6885_zpshnwej9im.jpg]
After I added the trucks I set to silicon the motor into the shell when I discovered the I had forgotten to cement the universals and flywheels to the motor shafts. with that near disaster adverted I cemented everything in place this afternoon.
As a side note does anyone want an Athearn SW-7 in and early Canadian Pacific Maroon scheme? Even thought it's got the older trucks it still runs fine (a bit noisy at higher speeds). The motor has been hard-wired in and a new light was placed into the shell. Also it has the gold motor
Well I just got the CP engine back from my DCC guy. He installed a digitrax DZ-123 decoder:
[Image: DSCF6886%202_zps9ejzxzzb.jpg]
He also installed a pair of warm white LEDs into the shell.
[Image: DSCF6887_zps6mysb2hv.jpg]
With that done I sprayed the engine with testors dulcote and added the window glass. You may also notice that it's sporting the proper Alco 'blunt' truck sideframes.
[Image: DSCF6888_zpstjbevdhi.jpg]
IA few shots of it on the layout. I'm not sure if I'll weather it more that it already is. the dulcote gave it and its' CN brother a slight molted look on the top of the hood and roof, sort a rained-on look.
[Image: DSCF6889_zpswfho8xrm.jpg]
If there is one thing I'd like to change is if it had a set of Nickel silver wheelsets as the Athearn sintered-iron ones dirty up quite quickly.
Good-looking locomotive, Glen, but if it were possible, I'd have those sintered iron wheels on all locomotives, including steam. They gave a locomotive a good grip on the rail, and I never had an issue with them getting dirty.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne, actually I gave the wheels a good cleaning and the engine runs just fine now. I'll probably save myself the cost of the new wheelsets and buy something else I can use.