Flickr Notice
I just got this from Flickr....here we go again
We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.

SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.

Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.

We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.
Thanks,
I got that mail too. Is that only an administrative and legal change of ownership? Any ideas what to expect? I am afraid of another million broken photo links in many forums.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:I got that mail too. Is that only an administrative and legal change of ownership? Any ideas what to expect? I am afraid of another million broken photo links in many forums.
Well, I have seen too many big changes happen when some one new takes over. Most of the time the changes are for more profit. I don't use any of the sites because of these worries. I just have many extra and redundant hard drives.
Charlie
Does SmugMug charge to link your photos to other sites such as Big Blue? Fortunately, when Photobucket went this route, I only had a few photos linked to here, and those were for items that I had for sale at one point.

Going though some of the older threads here, I find many many photos show up as
[Image: bwe.png]
rather than as a picture thanks to Photobucket's change in policy. We still urge you all to upload your photos as attachments to avoid problems like this.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I always thought it was easier to upload the attacment direct to Big Blue, with the exception of adding them one at a time, and the 5 picture limit per post, though the limit doesn't pose a problem most of the time.
I may use FB as the main on-line repository. It would save uploading to Flickr etc. because I am a FB user and poster anyway. My "photos" app on the iMac interfaces very convenient with FB. Anyhow my local SSD/harddisk and their backups will continue as my main photo storage.
This is a direct link into my FB photo album (same photo as posted here some hours ago via Flickr).

[Image: 31052396_1816939871705308_89115667741938...e=5B5B3883]
Reinhard
I do have a Flickr account but SmugMug has been my preferred off-computer photo storage and photo sharing platform for a couple of years ever since Photobucket started its slide downhill some years ago. I use their most basic service which costs me $4 per month, so not expensive at all. I find it actually much more user friendly than the other sites,Flickr included.

[Image: DSCN2270-L.jpg]
Charlie B Wrote:I always thought it was easier to upload attacment direct to Big Blue, with the exception of adding them one at a time, and the 5 pivture limit per post, though the limit doesn't pose a problem most of the time.
Can you give me a pointer to the howto please. Can't find it.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:
Charlie B Wrote:I always thought it was easier to upload attacment direct to Big Blue, with the exception of adding them one at a time, and the 5 pivture limit per post, though the limit doesn't pose a problem most of the time.
Can you give me a pointer to the howto please. Can't find it.

When you are composing a post, scroll down and you will see a tab, "Upload attachments". Click on it and there is a "browse" button. Clicking on it will take you to your computer and you can select the photo you want to upload. Select the photo and the filename will appear in the window next to the "browse" button. It that's what you want, you can click on the "add the file" button. You can just leave it that way or do it all over again for a different photo. If you leave it that way, your photos will appear at the end of your post, or you can select where in the post that you want each one to appear by selecting the "place inline" button below the filename.

Let me know if you're having difficulties doing this. It sound a bit complicated, but it really isn't once you've done it....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, never have a problem but I was just saying you can only select one at a time. Many of the other places I frequent (dog groups) allow you to select a bunch at a time.
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:Don, never have a problem but I was just saying you can only select one at a time. Many of the other places I frequent (dog groups) allow you to select a bunch at a time.
Charlie
I know that you know how, but my answer was for Faraway who asked how to upload.

Yeah, a group load is more desirable, but we're stuck with what we got thanks to the software we use. Even the new package that we'll be changing to will only allow one upload at a time. We can increase the number of photos in a post, but we thought that five was good for some that had slow download speeds.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:.... Let me know if you're having difficulties doing this. It sound a bit complicated, but it really isn't once you've done it....

Thanks, it works almost. The file is to big and I do not want to go through the hassle to resize all files into a second smaller format prior to uploading to big blue. I will use references to another repository in big blue as I did it all the time in the past.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:.... Let me know if you're having difficulties doing this. It sound a bit complicated, but it really isn't once you've done it....

Thanks, it works almost. The file is to big and I do not want to go through the hassle to resize all files into a second smaller format prior to uploading to big blue. I will use references to another repository in big blue as I did it all the time in the past.

Yes, if you upload very large files, they take time to load and some have to scroll to see them all. Plus, they do take up a lot of disk space, so we limit the filesize. Even 640 x 480 has enough resolution and it will fit on most screens just fine. I usually try to keep my photo files under150K and no more than 800 x 600 resolution.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I think the file I posted just above of the CN loco I resized to 600x800 when I posted it.
This one is resized to 600x450

[Image: 2016-08-05%252016.22.48-M.jpg]