Just for Fun
Thanks for the offer, Jim, but those cars would have to be stripped completely, as the lettering scheme is too modern for my modelling era.  I have quite a few of the Walthers 50' single sheathed cars, many with the end doors.

Several have factory paint...

[Image: Freightcars021-1.jpg]

...while several others had their original lettering removed and replaced with C-D-S dry transfer lettering, like this one...

[Image: Freightcars018-1.jpg]

I was also able to pick up 9 undecorated kits at a very good price, and lettered them all for my freelanced home road...

[Image: Freightcarphotos005-2.jpg]

I've also started, using Atlas (formerly Branchline) underbodies from wooden reefers, to scratchbuild five 40' doubledoor automobile cars, with Viking roofs and Hutchins ends. 

I have several of the MDC 50' automobile cars, too....

[Image: Modifiedrollingstock057.jpg]

I don't have room for a even a backdrop photo of an automobile plant, let alone a background model, so I've decided that the parts suppliers (engines, frames, drive trains, body stampings, etc., etc., along with the assembly plants, are all "elsewhere", as represented by staging yards.  That way, the over three dozen boxcars assigned to automobile service (both for parts and complete vehicles) can at least cycle on-and off-layout, making regular appearances.  I don't like to keep the rolling stock in boxes, but it would be impossible for the layout to accommodate them all....there'd be no track available for running trains.

In the photo below, some of the boxes have two cars each, while others have four, and the shelves have also pretty-well filled-up since the photo was taken...

[Image: 100_7664.jpg]

Locomotives stay on the layout, while passenger and headend equipment is stored elsewhere, as is maintenance-of-way equipment.  I probably have only a dozen-or-so freight cars to add, most of which I intend to scratchbuild.  I also have 10 or 12 cabooses to build (mostly from scratch), and roughly the same amount of wooden headend cars to build from Athearn Rivarossi, and MDC passenger cars.  A couple of the latter ones will be for friends.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread
Just for Fun - by CNR5103 - 02-08-2019, 08:42 AM
RE: Just for Fun - by scribbelt - 02-08-2019, 12:36 PM
RE: Just for Fun - by doctorwayne - 02-08-2019, 11:04 PM
RE: Just for Fun - by jim currie - 02-09-2019, 11:15 AM
RE: Just for Fun - by doctorwayne - 02-09-2019, 02:08 PM
RE: Just for Fun - by CNR5103 - 02-09-2019, 04:00 PM
RE: Just for Fun - by jim currie - 02-09-2019, 04:48 PM
RE: Just for Fun - by doctorwayne - 02-09-2019, 06:23 PM