Logging Locos, Logging Track Plan, Logging Mill, Mainline Pick-up
Quote: While I do like the idea of the turntable, there is something else... You mentioned a grade... On any line with "steep" grades, you'll want to run your steamers with the firebox facing downhill and the boiler uphill, so as to make it easier to maintain the necessary water level at the firebox end (which must be completely covered with water at all times).

Once the grades become really steep, it is usually required to have the loco always at the downhill side of the train to prevent runaway cars. In some cases this lead to unusual stations on mainline railroads as the whole train had to be turned before going down the other side of the pass. Usually this is solved by a dead-end terminal station at the top of the hill. Train goes in with the engine trailing (pushing uphill) and leaves with the engine leading (pulling and braking downhill).

With logging lines being often in steep terrain, I would expect them to not turn engines or trains in normal operation.
So, I guess you *don't* want to turn your engines or run around trains on the logging line.
As mentioned, individual lines' practice will differ.
Have fun!

PS: also, you'll always want to design your logging lines so that your Shay's cylinders will point towards the aisle so as to present the "interesting" side to the viewer. Turning locos would obliterate that ;-)

PPS: the "loco at the downhill side of the train" is why you generally don't see switchbacks on steep lines, at least not in Germany...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Logging Locos, Logging Track Plan, Logging Mill, Mainline Pick-up - by railandsail - 07-27-2019, 12:40 PM
Gallows Style Turntable - by railandsail - 07-27-2019, 12:44 PM
Bridge Across Log Pond - by railandsail - 07-27-2019, 12:49 PM
15"radius vs 18" radius - by railandsail - 10-09-2019, 07:34 AM