Logging Locos, Logging Track Plan, Logging Mill, Mainline Pick-up
I think you may be correct there, ….probable not many logging operations used them.

But I've looked at a number of the A-frame/ Gallows types where the upper structure is built with heavy timbers and steel rod such that the 'bridge structure' can be a relatively flat plane not requiring big support from the perimeter surrounding track, nor a pit of any sort. With the heavy timbers and likely heavy cables and rods they utilized in other ways in logging, I would think this might have been be a real way to construct a relatively cheap, remote turntable that could be moved to another logging location as needed. And naturally hand powered
[Image: SP18lawsthirteen1000.jpg]

[Image: SP18lawstwo1000.jpg]

[Image: img_1113_dxo_raw.jpg]

I'm not 'timber knowledgeable' either, so I wonder how the prototype guys turned their logging locos for the 'return trip'. I suspect it was some sort of 'wye'. But these things eat up 'real estate' also, even if you are just turning the loco and not all the log cars (actually don't see a need to turn all the log cars, they can run either way?)

A wye arrangement at the tip of my peninsula may not be that doable either as its only 18” wide at its best. So that's 'why' I thought of a gallows turntable out at that end.

Besides they look neat, ...and I think I have one that needs TLC, but I can't remember right now.

Messages In This Thread
Gallows Style Turntable - by railandsail - 07-27-2019, 12:44 PM
Bridge Across Log Pond - by railandsail - 07-27-2019, 12:49 PM
15"radius vs 18" radius - by railandsail - 10-09-2019, 07:34 AM