Who has changed their username?
Herc Driver Wrote:Oh...that's how that's done. I've been on a PC since Fortran, Basic and Cobal...going to a Mac has been a learning curve for sure, but pretty easy to get up and running quickly. It's the finer things - like resizing pictures to post - that shows how little I really know about the apps on the computer.

Herc,

If you've got the photos in iPhoto, you can resize them to a variety of preset sizes, or you can choose your own size. I am not sure about resizing a bunch at once, but maybe. For individual photos, you double click them to enter "edit" mode, and then you should see "constrain" or something like that along the bottom of the window. Pick the size you want, and you're done.

And luckily, iPhoto even keeps a record of the original, so if you really mess up, the original's always there. However, I generally make a copy before manipulating anything.

Andrew
Herc Driver Wrote:Mine's the same 'cuz I'm not creative enough to think up another one. I might change my avatar from time to time...oh wait...I changed to an iMac and I don't know how to resize and reduce file sizes of pictures yet. Any iMac users out there in trainland want to give me a few pointers on how to get pictures ready for the web for posting?

I'm an iMac guy (both at home and at work). I use Photoshop CS3 for this sort of this. I find that I have to lower the resolution a lot. IIRC, The-Gauge lists the pixel dimensions for avatars so it should be easy to type in the appropriate size when you resize your image. If you're using Photoshop, I could probably help but won't be of much help if you're using other software. Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Thanks guys for the quick help...I'm still in the "learning mode" with my iMac. I used Preview to alter the dimensions (and therefore file size) of three pictures I posted on my "Engine Roster" thread just to see if I could do it. So I now know at least one way to quickly change a picture for posting...but I think in Preview it changes it forever. Anyway...back to the original thread topic... Cheers
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
RobertInOntario Wrote:I wish I could change mine but I still wanted folks to recognize me from the "other" forum.

When I first selected mine a few years ago, "RobertInOntario" was all I could think of at the time and I was in a hurry to sign up!

Rob

Robert, you could do like Steve did. He changed his user name and then put "formerly known as Nazgul" in his signature.
Still the same here. Smile

Makes it easier for me to remember. 35
Since the days of the old Gauge I stayed with RailRon - and it's the same name in all the other railroad forums I visit.

After all, I still love everything that runs on rails, and my real name is still Ron - so why change? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ron
Boss of the Trim Creek & Western RR (H0 & H0n3)
Running through the hard-shell mountains, not around them!
I changed mine even though I still visit both sites. On the other site I use my actual name (maybe not a good idea in this day and age). Jim K