Caboose Industrie's ground throws...
(08-10-2020, 05:24 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: What are you using instead of them?

For most of the layout, I replaced them with a spring, made from piano wire, and, like the Caboose Industries ground throws, the points are finger-tip-operated...

This allowed me to add Central Valley switchstands, which look more prototypical.  While the targets don't move with the points, they are manually positionable, which makes for more realistic photos.

All of my staging yards still have Caboose Industries ground throws, but because I consider those yards to be "off-layout", I'm not concerned about appearances, as they're not usually a place for photos.

Adding the partial second level to my layout made some turnouts on the portion of the layout below  almost inaccessible, and I had to make them remotely controlled.  Four got Rapido RailCrew motors (with working targets), while others got Fulgurex (PFM) motor-controlled turnout racks, and the balance were done with Blue Point devices, manually operated by knobs on the layout's fascia....

The main reason for removing the on-layout Caboose Industries devices was for aesthetic reasons with regard to photos.  Otherwise, I was perfectly satisfied with their performance and utility, and have never had one fail.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread
RE: Caboose Industrie's ground throws... - by doctorwayne - 08-10-2020, 09:51 AM