The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
(01-13-2021, 08:35 AM)tompm Wrote: I got an email from my online dealer about the PRR DD-1 I reserved. I was excited as I knew the locos had arrived at the manufacturers from the factory. I am thinking this is the invoice for it. I opened the email and found a copy of a letter the owner sent to the dealers. There were fingerprints and other marks in the paint on the bodies. The bodies have to be remade. I have been waiting for this loco for three and a half years. Now looks like at least another six months.

Are those the new GHB models?  Thats awful!  I was tempted to order one, but just couldn't justify it. 

Quote:I found a source for some Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines decals. They are for RDC’s, Cabooses, and Passenger Cars. I think they should work on the undecorated Athearn blue box GP-38-2 I have. I am looking to get a second one soon. PRSL had GP-38’s without dynamic brakes so I need to find non-dynamic brake hoods to replace the hoods on the loco I have. I need to investigate what the difference in appearance between a GP-38 and a GP-38-2 is and whether or not I need to make any adjustments.

There are fairly significant (in my opinion) differences between a GP38 and a GP38-2, particularly the Blue Blox GP38-2.   An Atlas GP38 would make a better base model. 

GP38s had a larger radiator screen with 2 sections, and the radiator fans themselves were spaced apart conspicuously farther than on a GP38-2, which has a shorter single-section radiator screen. The Athearn blue-box GP38-2 also has the "late phase" corrugated radiator screens,  which would not be present on a GP38.  The "dust bin" for the air filter hatch is also the older style on the GP38.  Then there is of course, the -2 style  sight glass that would only be present on a GP38-2. 

Here I have a Genesis ex-PC GP38-2 compared to my own ex-PRSL GP38 (managed to get a PRSL cab 3d printed before they discontinued it for some reason).  I think the profile is different enough to justify hunting an older Atlas GP38.  I have spare non-dynamic hatches for those if you need one, but if you find an undec Atlas GP38, it will come with one.

Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - by Green_Elite_Cab - 01-13-2021, 09:45 AM