The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
(01-14-2021, 01:27 AM)tompm Wrote: Yes it is the GHB models. At first I was not going to get one. Then again it is PRR and an electric motor. I will figure out some way to justify it being on the layout. Whenever we go to the RR Museum of PA the DD-1 is one of the locos that always draws me in.

I recently reserved a Rapido Penn Central EP-5. Not a hundred percent sure why other than it is an electric motor. I would love to find an E44. They maybe ugly to some folks but they are PRR and electric. You see I may have a problem with electric motors.

I've got three EP5s on pre-order.  #370 (the PRR tested it in on some trains), #375, and PC 4977.   I'm going to be rebuilding and re-lettering 4977 to its freight configuration, since this one technically lasted on Conrail until 1977.  Its 2 years short of my modelling era, but how could I not?

I wish they would make an E44 in plastic, it is also one of my favorites.  You can get a 3D printed E44 on shapeways, its more or less a kit based on the Alpha E44A brass models,  but you need an E33 for the frame.  It looks like the person who developed it intended to be able to do some of the side variations (the E44s were subtly rebuild during their lives, in addition to the conversions from ignitrons to solid state rectifiers), but to my knowledge, only the E44A sides are available.    

I've got 4 E44As, but I'm specifically modelling the electrified lines, not just collecting.  They are pretty difficult to come by, and eBay gets... competitive. 

Quote:Thanks for the information on the differences between the GP38 and GP38-2. I was going to ask if anyone knew. I have been searching for the Atlas GP-38 for sometime and have found them to be rarer than hen's teeth. I am even willing to buy one and strip it and repaint if I can't find an undecorated one. I did find a custom Penn Central GP-38 with a bad decal job, that I may eventually use. However, it is much older than I was lead to believe. It only has one power truck and was made in Yugoslavia. It came in an Athearn box. Apparently the original box was lost. I paid only $40 for it so I can't complain. I will figure out something to do with it. After some wheel cleaning I got it running nicely. It still needs to be tuned and perhaps overhauled.

Getting back to the GP-38's I will keep looking. If I can't find them and run out of patient I will just use the GP-38-2. It will mean in my little slice of the model railroad world the PRSL got GP-38-2's instead of GP-38's.

They have been pretty scarce.  I was able to snag a few, and I have other spare parts for them.  I found a late phase Atlas GP38 undec with sound from  reputable online store.   I don't know if it has the right parts,  but I can spare nearly a whole GP38 shell that does match in a trade, or at the very least, provide you with the appropriate non-dynamic hood.  

I will PM it.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - by Green_Elite_Cab - 01-14-2021, 07:00 AM