The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
Good morning everyone. 
I got an early start on a beautiful day here in southeast Ohio.  I had a stump from a small pear tree that died last year so we cut it down and I decided it was a nice day to remove this mowing obstacle so I hooked a chain between it and my truck, put it in 4 wheel low and out it came. I filled the small hole it left and it will be good until that dirt settles. 
On another issue, There is an old house next door to me that was originally a part of this property. When the previous owner defaulted on the mortgage the bank, in its infinite wisdom, split the properties. That house had the well so they gave it a small lot, less than 1/4 of an acre, and the property we bought had a full acre with the septic tank.  The old house was originally a lumber company warehouse many moons ago so it was never used as a dwelling. The previous owner decided to tie into the septic system on our property illegally so we were told we had to disconnect that line from the system which rendered that property useless as a house. We had to have a well drilled on our property which was still a deal because we got the property cheap, and it was a new small home built in 1987.  Some folks bought the old place at the same time we bought ours. They did not do their due diligence and did not realize there was no septic system. (our county requires an acre of ground for new septic tank installs). After 10 years they finally found a buyer that was going to install a new type system, or run 250 feet of sewer line down the street to tie in to the city sewer.  He put a lot of work into the place before he found out that neither option  was approved and he had a white elephant on his hands. After 3 years he found another sucker. The poor guy has been working like hell on the place and told everyone they were moving in on the 25th of June.  I was working outback a couple weeks ago and he called me over. He asked me if I knew where his septic tank was.  I couldn't believe the previous owner sold the place without telling him there was no system nor could he install one. (banks would never finance this place, he paid cash)
Now I have given you the back ground, here is the story.  I knew the well from the old house was originally plumbed into this one but all the lines had froze when it sat empty. When I had the new well drilled and I installed new water pipes I just cut the old lines and forgot about it. Last week I had water running out from under the front of the house (it is built on a concrete slab). I thought our hose that we run to water the garden had developed a hole so I turned the water of at the spigot and after about an hour the water quit running. Mystery solved.... Nope  A couple days later the water appeared again and continued to run.  I finally figured it out, They new guy had turned on the power to his well and it was running out a break in the old line under my house and when he quit working he turns off the power.  Yesterday I found that old line and capped it. Now I have to wait until he returns to make sure the problem is solved. At least it didn'y do any damage to my place. 

Tom. I hope your ear heals quickly.  
I have been using Win11 for at least 9 months  and I like it fine. It would not run my Epson scanner software (12 years old) (my old win 10 laptop works fine for this) but it runs most current programs.  I had to download a program to move the taskbar to the left margin because that option was removed and I have a wider screen and prefer it there. I also downloaded classic shell so nothing really seems different and to be honest I use a lot of free programs to avoid windows bundled apps. I use open office (there is a program to remove the Office nag) I use thunderbird for mail and chrome for a browser, and agent ransack to search my computer, and I like Honeyview for my default photo browser. 
My only complaint is it is still difficult to network with my wifes computer. I had to turn on sharing without passwords in order to do it. I am behing a network firewall so I don't worry about that. 

I got the grass mowed yesterday so that chore is done for 10 days. The grass has slowed a lot. The garden is doing well, I have been eating fresh strawberries for a week now and the plants are supposed to produce all summer. I had to net the plants so the chipmunks and birds would leave them alone. 

Everyone stay safe and cool. 
Cheers
Charlie

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - by Charlie B - 06-29-2022, 09:14 AM