The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
Greetings guys. 
         I did get the grass cut yesterday and worked on the motor home. I worked on it today too, not long because of the humidity but I got the seat bolts out so I can remove the seats and pedestals so I can install new carpet. There wasn't enough room to use the impact wrench (which has spoiled me for sure). I had to use a breaker bar to loosen them then I applied some ATF and drank a cold coke one while the ATF loosened things up. After an hour soak I was able to remove all 8 bolts with my 1/2 in drive rachet. The bolds were 1/2 inch fine thread and there was a lot to unwind.  I have a doctor appointment in the morning so I will commence when I get home. I want to replace the spark plugs while the dog box is removed. 
         I went to Schenley to see the railroad before the track is removed. They were working getting ready to remove the stick rail that remains. They are bringing in a rail train to pull up the ribbon rail. There is about 11 track miles of that that was laid in 2010/2012 and it handled 130 trains so it is still brand new. I understand it is going to be laid to provide rail service to another mine that belongs to Rosebud. It was pretty tough on me to see all of our hard work being destroyed but time marches on. 
         Another one of my volunteers dies last week too. He was 83 years old and in great shape but had a fall about 6 weeks ago.  He was fully recovered and had just gone home. He did not respond to his sisters calls and she found him dead in his chair. 
        Here is a photo of him running his 15 inch live steam in 2004.    
He donated the railroad equipment to a group in Harrisburg, Pa. about 8 years ago. he boiler needed retubed and he didn't want to do it.
         He, like the other volunteers that have died will be missed by everyone. It was fun while it lasted.
         Unlike many railroaders, I was able to not only run a railroad, but I repaired equipment, did inspections, rebuilt track, installed a switch and 800 feet of siding and almost a mile extension of the line in Bagdad.  I also did the billing (NS and Conrail) and did the demurrage billing to the freight customer. I also saw a lot of things that made me upset with the railroads. There is a lot of mismanagement everywhere as well as crews that really didn't care if the job got done or not, but there were also great crews that serviced us. 
          More later, all stay safe and I pray that the whole country gets drought relief. 
Charlie

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - by Charlie B - 08-07-2022, 04:19 PM