The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
Good morning friends. 
        I got everything I had planned accomplished yesterday and a few more things to boot. 
        I am pleased with the motor home floor. Not bad for a set of wheels that is now 41 years old.    

We had a few sprinkles this morning but we really could use a good soaker. My garden is a  big disappointment.  I am starting to believe I couldn't raise hell with a gallon of moonshine.  The potatoes and the tomatoes  are doing fine but the cucumbers, beans, peppers and corn were a waste of time and hard work.  I had a ton on horse manure spread and composted and then tilled it in but the soil is just lacking organic material. At this stage of the game I have other things I can do so next year 4 tomato plants will be my garden. The raised beds did produce some nice onions and strawberries, which are still producing so I will continue with those next year. 

Rain showers are predicted today so I won't do anything that the water could hurt. Work will continue on the motorhome as time permits.

I had a nice 2 hour conversation with a young friend of mine last night. When I was painting the locomotive (volunteer) for the Little Beaver Creek Valley Scenic Railroad He had just turned 18 and volunteered to help. He was the best help I had and showed up every day. Here is a photo of the finished product. The locomotive went to the Ohio Central and Jerry would not paint over this because he liked the paint job. It finally got orange paint when Jerry sold the OC to the G&W group. 

To continue the story about my young friend, (Mike Manwiller) He continued to volunteer and an old timer taught him how to fire the small steam locomotive they leased a couple years later. He continued his college education and was for a time trainmaster for the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad and he was one of the folks featured in the History Channel production of the young guns of steam.  He has ran the Daylight and many other mainline steam locomotives and  I will call him an expert on steam. (He made the back sheet for the Big Boy and the 1309). He is now the chief mechanical officer for the Heber Valley Railroad. He is so appreciative of what little I taught him. I am hoping to visit with him next year and play with his trains even though they currently have no steam operating. 

My truck is almost due for an oil change so I will just take it to a quick lube and have it done. The last time I changed oil it was tough to find someone tht would take the old oil and I didn't save money anyway.  I had the Kia done at the dealership a couple months ago and the total bill was 34 bucks which included synthetic oil and the disposal fee for the used stuff.  

Days, I hope you are feeling as good as it appears. 

Tompm  hope you are starting to feel better 

Tom, the Fiatfan, I want to know how you came up with that handle.  While I seem to be writing a book today I have a Fiat story.  In 1969 I knew a guy that was the body man at the Ford garage where I worked. He had bought a new Fiat in 1967 that didn't come up to what he thought it should be and Fiat would not make it right so he parked it in his front yard which was along a major highway with signs that were detrimental to the brand. Fiat got wind of it and did everything they could to appease Homer, but he was past that point and refused all of their offers, even the offer to buy it back at full price. (Pig headed). He finally wound up selling it but not to Fiat and not for much money either.  

Enuf is enuf.  Icon_e_biggrin
Charlie

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - by Charlie B - 08-16-2022, 08:48 AM