The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
Greetings everyone
      It has been another foggy morning although it cleared a bit after noon. The temperature is 61 degrees right now but winter is to come back next Monday

I decided to finish another project yesterday. I had painted an Athearn BB SW7 to match the one I painted (full size) for the Little Beaver Creek Valley Railroad. I did the prototype in 1992 and the model that winter, I even used the same paint so I know it was a match. I never finished lettering it and now it would need a decoder to run on my layout.     
That was my 30 minute project yesterday.  When I had installed the decoder I decided to test it. It didn't work so back to the repair room and disassemble to see if I had a short or some other problem.........Nothing, so it must be a bad decoder so I replaced it.......still won't run so check and recheck and I can't find a thing so I try a new decoder and the same thing nothing happens.  I have been at this for 5 hours now so I need help, I think I got a bad batch of decoders, I have installed over 60 of these with no problem, so I call Woodone.  Jerry made several suggestions so I hang up and try them, in the meantime Jerry calls back with a few more questions and suggestions. After all the tests I am still at ZERO, So, just for kicks I place another locomotive on the track in front of me (there are locomotives idling that I can hear so I know there is power to the layout) I acquire the locomotive on the controller and Viola!!!!    nothing Icon_redface   No light no horn, no bell, no nuthin.   I wiggle the plug and nothing. The display lights but no functions so I go around the corner and plug into another outlet and everything works like a charm...So the work has been done because the outlet for the controller cable is bad.  I called Jerry to let his know it was my stupidity and of course we both got a chuckle (not). I then went in and in 5 minutes had the decoder installed and the SW7 frame and motor back together, did a test run, and set it aside and quit for the day. I will install the lights and windows tomorrow and get it on the track for a photo. Then all I need to do is letter it. Her is a picture from 2001 on my last layout (which is now my sons)    

I want to say i wish everyone a grand month and year ahead, and thank all of the members of this forum for all the fun and help and friendship 

Cheers
Charlie

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - by Charlie B - 01-03-2023, 09:25 PM