The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
I haven't had much to post in this forum.
Everything is fine at the Wilderson division and all of my kids and grand kids that were evacuated for the wreck are all fine. 
I am watching a small village commit suicide with the help of the media hype and the lawyers looking for a big payday. There were no injuries nor was there any property damage off the railroad with the exception of a fuel storage tank on the property of a local fuel oil distributor.  Had there not been a big black mushroom cloud to keep replaying the media would be reporting on other things more dramatic. 
     They are testing all of the homes and all local wells as well as the village water system and to date no traces of any of the released substances been found. I am 1.6 miles away from ground zero and the bottom of my well is still 100 feet higher than the derailment site so I am not worried about our water. (surface elevation 120 feet higher too)
     The lawyers are having a field day convincing folks they can never go home again. 
      The wreck should never have happened. The crew should have stopped the train and checked it out. Why they didn't is a mystery to me. 
NS has a site here http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en/...ssage.html about the clean up. and the NTSB report is here if you care to read the report  https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/Docu...Prelim.pdf
It is past time for the railroads to start thinking of the crews and safety. This wreck was caused by a hot bearing but it is my opinion that trains need to be limited to 100 cars or less and no unmanned helpers. The one man crew already was outlawed by congress this week and I hope it passes the other branches. Too many times folks forget that a railroad is run by people and those people need to be treated like flesh and blood, not machines. 
If management can't make money with 100 car trains 2+man crews and proper notice for call out times then get out of the business. 
I saw a lot of stuff running a shortline and some of it just makes my skin crawl. Lets hope the right things get addressed. 
Charlie

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - by Charlie B - 03-04-2023, 08:55 PM