The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
I dug out a second old Walthers kit -- a shorty diner. I think it's older than the Oscar I'm working on, but the steps with coupler pocket are the same casting. It's the "Universal" pocket that nothing fits in anymore.
Problems. The castings are crap. The material is fragile. The steps and the trucks are the same stuff. Somehow I have 2 sets of both the trucks and the steps. The sideframe castings screw onto the bolsters which are rivetted to the floor. Most of the sideframes have fractured into a lot of pieces. One of the ones that has been on the floor all this time has been glued back together. Most of the rest are in a lot of pieces. I think there may be 2 that are whole plus another that isn't straight.
The step castings -- both coach trap-door style and the ladder type -- have "universal" coupler pockets RP22. The instructions say to break some of the posts off from inside to install Kadees. The posts break very easily but no cleanly. The same castings in the Oscar are in a silvery metal and the posts do not snap off.
Good point: the roof is plastic.
This was a second hand kit.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - by BR60103 - 03-16-2023, 06:54 PM