doctorwayne's 2021 Do Something Challenge - Part 1
Finally, something to show.

Here's that shortened Athearn postal car, with some underbody detail...

...and one of the two Rivarossi 12-1 Pullmans, converted into an 8-1-2 configuration (8 sections, 1 drawing room, and 2 compartments).  Both cars are the same, although some of the components are different colours.  Here's a view of the aisle side ...

...and the compartment side....

Here's a view of the rudimentary interior....both cars will eventually get seating in the sections, but I won't bother with details in the rooms

This view shows a couple of washroom windows (salvaged from other Rivarossi passenger cars) that were grafted into the window-portion of the Rivarossi roofs, due to the different interior layout - the one on the left is for the ladies washroom/lounge, the one on the right for the private washroom in the drawing room.  The missing window segment had flaws and will be added separately, directly to the inside of the car, after the car is painted and lettered.

This is the underbody of one of the 8-1-2 cars...

The two 8-1-2 cars, plus the duplex sleeper, and the postal car are ready for a coat of primer, and the baggage car which lacked underbody brake gear, will likely get those details painted with a brush.

But wait!...there's more...here's that 80' diner that was shown in an earlier post....I've cut the floor into 7 pieces (it's temporarily re-assembled to show the cuts...the 7th piece is only partially shown at right)...

...and here's two of the pieces removed in order to shorten the 80' car into what will eventually be a 72' wooden baggage car...

Here's the floor cemented together, with two .060"x3'(HO) strips of styrene to stiffen the multi-piece floor...(the lead weights are there only to hold the stiffeners vertical while the glue sets, although I will be adding permanent lead weights before the car returns to its owner.
Note too, the four-piece re-assembled roof - I cut it into the segments as-shown, in order to allow the roof retaining tabs to fit properly into the original, but re-located, slots in the floor....this will help to strengthen the car, too....

Here's another view...

That's all for today, folks.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread
RE: doctorwayne's 2021 Do Something Challenge - Part 1 - by doctorwayne - 04-06-2021, 12:30 AM