doctorwayne's 2021 Do Something Challenge - Part 1
Thanks to all for the kind words. 

I will soon go back to building those baggage and express cars, but I though it might be a good idea to show what I've lately been doing to fritter-away my time, working on mostly non-industrial structure kits.  The majority of them are simple kits from DPM, with a few poorly-built secondhand ones, and a few kits that I'd forgotten I had.

The DPM kits are very easy to assemble, but require a little more work to paint them properly, and they also offer opportunities to add a few details, too.

These three are mostly assembled, but have not yet been painted at all...

...while these at least have the brick portions painted, using Floquil's "Depot Buff"...

...and likewise for these two...

These three have the bricks painted with the same colour, but also have "mortar" (pre-mixed drywall mud) applied to the bricks, the excess wiped off with a dry rag...

I didn't want the buildings to all look too similar, so I painted some of them orange, then added mortar effects...

...here are some more orange ones, also with mortar added.  The one in the centre is the backside of that structure, as its front has no brickwork at all...

The next three photos are of Walthers' "ARGOSY BOOKSTORE", but I'll be re-branding it as a relatively upscale hotel, with a main floor restaurant...

...the fourth wall isn't shown, as it's nothing but bricks, with no windows or other details.

This one will be a bar & grill, named for a longtime friend and co-worker...

...same structure, rear view...

Because this structure is literally at the edge of the upper level of the layout, I'll have to add some interior details, as anybody will be able to look through the windows...so they'll expect to see something.

Messages In This Thread
RE: doctorwayne's 2021 Do Something Challenge - Part 1 - by doctorwayne - 10-02-2021, 01:09 AM