doctorwayne's 2021 Do Something Challenge - Part 1
(10-06-2021, 09:04 AM)deckroid Wrote: Looks like I'm going to have to hit the hardware store on my way home!  I wonder if my local store sells GERN drywall compound... I hear it's 3% smoother than leading brands.

You got it, pal...that's the flux molecules in action! 2285_ 2285_ 2285_

I finally got around to cleaning up that over-mortared DPM structure, but I'm not overly pleased with the results.  After rubbing off the excess mortar where there was only brick detail, the mortar was removed in a couple of areas....it may have been applied a little too wet.  I re-did those areas, but lost some mortar again, as you'll see in the photos showing clean-up where the drywall mud gets removed from non-brick areas.  I wonder if perhaps some areas of the moulded-in grooves, which represent the areas where mortar would be, are too shallow...I'll see if I can address that later.

As mentioned previously, I use X-Acto knives to remove excess mortar from around door and window details, or where there is detail representing materials where mortar wouldn't be used.  If such details are near those areas of brick, it's difficult to not get mortar where it's not required.

While the pointy #11 blade is useful for getting into tight confines, I prefer the #17 chisel-type blade...

...and for hard to access areas, the #17 blade can be altered with careful use of a cut-off disc in a motor tool...

This side wall, with no detail other than bricks, was worked-over with only a dry cloth...

The back wall, however, lost some mortar

...as did portions of the front....

The other side wall also lost a small area of mortar.  I re-applied the drywall mud to those areas, but got the same results.  I'll see if I can come up with a fix.

Messages In This Thread
RE: doctorwayne's 2021 Do Something Challenge - Part 1 - by doctorwayne - 10-07-2021, 01:54 AM