G&D Ore Car #90
[albumimg]833[/albumimg]

And here's the last shot from this week's work. Here I have added a dirty tan wash to the sideframes, the lower body of the car and the spatter zones on the ends. It's very thin, and only enough to begin to show up just barely. I like to add thin washes and let them build up gradually. Finally, I added a dirty gray wash, probably three drops black to one drop gray. Again, this isn't much but compare this shot to an earlier shot and you may begin to see the difference. The grime wash tones down the white streaks.

Next will be to add perhaps a few more washes, whatever I do to the interior, and a good dusting of grime & rust as appropriate. JA's original Varney cars as well as later ore cars similar in body style to this one, show his usual heavy weathering. I'm not sure I want to go that far, but we'll see. I may get a wild hare and go pretty far. However I want this car to be used in service still, so it should look as if it has seen many miles but has many more to go.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
Quote:One thing I intend to do when the house remodel is done (almost finished!!!) is to try some of the bright metal foils that the car modelers use to simulate chrome on the inside of a gravel hopper to simulate the inside being freshly scrubbed off by all of gravel dumped into and emptied out of the cars over the years.

I would highly recommend looking around and finding steel in a similar condition (if not a hopper interior) before going with bright metal foils. Steel, polished, isn't as bright as chrome, and considering "scale" would be better modeled with slightly less shine. We're talking steel that has been scraped clean of paint, and rust, not "polished" to a smooth bright finish. Also consider, as the load flows in, and out of the hopper, it will be the surfaces that bear the weight, and against which the load moves, that will be bare. the rest will be some paint, and mostly rust.

Right on about the shine. I quit typing before going into that much detail. The company that makes the metal foil, offers it in a number of finishes. I think that the "stainless steel" is probably the best choice for showing scrapped steel, but I need to examine the various choices before I start on open hoppers.
Lookin' good, Galen, Thumbsup but go easy on the rust on the wheel faces: trucks with roller bearings (such as the mini-quads in Josh' link) have rust (and dirt) on both the front and rear faces of the wheels, while friction bearing trucks had such on the rear of the wheels only. The front face, except when new, was usually covered in oil from the journal boxes, with a lot of dirt stuck to it.

Didn't John Allen have an Effluvium mine on his layout? Wink Misngth

Wayne
Quote:Didn't John Allen have an Effluvium mine on his layout?

Why I believe he did! However, this car was sent over by the G&D to retreive a test load of Rottenstone Sulfite. Nasty stuff, in its raw form, but very versatile and useful when processed. Should the scouts over at GERN hear about this, well, they may want some too... 8-) The Ocali Creek Railway has recently stumbled upon a rich vein of this mineral. Funny story how it happened...I'll have to tell it sometime.

Suffice it to say, a mine that had once been considered shuttered when its principal coal seam didn't pan out has suddenly begun receiving timbers, blasting caps, etc. And an abandoned textile mill has also recently taken delivery of what appeared to be a flux drying tunnel and grinding mill. I think G&D 'sources' may have gotten hold of the requisition order paperwork and put two & two together. (They got five, btw 357 ).

All will be revealed in good time, and by that I mean a while, as I am nowhere near finished on the mine and haven't even begun the mill, but the parts are all there.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!