Changing a simple coach
Ok, so that IS the car I was thinking of, Yosemite Valley #107 at Niles Canyon. I am pretty familiar with the car. The V&T of the 1960's though was a tourist railroad (still is) operating over a small section of original V&T track, but not the original V&T railroad company. So that particular car was not part of the original V&T but a really cool car none the less. (and an even cooler model!)
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
That turned out well..!! 2285_

Good thing the trucks and undercarriage were not involved in the fix....Your work is truly museum-quality.... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
I'm glad to see that you got all the problems sorted out, Bernhard. The revised car looks great. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Bernhard,
Your craftsmanship is definitely of the "Master" Model Railroader category. I am amazed and impressed with what you have done. I look forward to seeing the rest of the train develop as you build it, I sure hope you share it here for us to see!

Dave
-Dave
Thank you all for your compliments.

However I think that here in forum are a big number of model builders with same success in their craftsmanship und those which are better in many respects. It is important for me to show here my models and to give my experiences to others and on other side to get your help, your ideas and experiences when I must solve an “unsolvable” problem. And it gives enjoy to write about my success. That’s all.

My next ideas for getting V&T trains?
First I plan to make “light” rebuilds for three simple ex. Rivarossi/Pocher old time passenger cars. And second I plan to build a nice caboose #24, so that I can run also mixed trains on layouts. A typical V&T train did run with cars #18, RPO #23 and caboose #24 alone or also including a few freight cars occasionally – pictured in the V&T book, a really good ideas giver. An other train used cars #18 and caboose #24, all. What for wonderful ideas running with short trains!
And to later times I would like to build one or two other passenger cars with very extraordinary roofs. However for doing this I would like to get industrial passenger car models in order to save a lot of work; similar how I did it with my model #18. However it could be that I must build complete scratchbuilt models because fitting samples are not available. And this case is many more realistic.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
I think I just read that the car is now operational on the Niles Canyon tourist railroad near Oakland for anyone who is interested.
I don't do passenger trains, so I hadn't seen this thread until today.

WOW! Thumbsup

This is terrific modeling, Bernhard, you are one great modeling technician. Love the work on the trucks!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Do you have any updates for this project?

Donnell
@Donnell,
sorry, no more steps for finishing.
I must finish my 5-car gondola project and now before starting a new one all laying projects must be finished. The two V&T models are parts of these and I think that I can close all them in this year yet.
However I'm in planing for next rebuild allready - and I think that this will be a greater project again. More at later time.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
The reason I asked is because I have really admired this project since I first saw it. I've been wanting to recreate your steps for adding more realistic roof ends to this otherwise toy-like passenger car to first see if I could do it, and second, employ its use on some scratchbuilt HOn3 passenger cars. I attended a local train show yesterday and picked up a Roundhouse coach exactly like the one you used. If this attempt goes well, I may try my hand at scratbuilding about five or six passenger cars to go behind a pair of Blackstone K-27s. I know they make the passenger cars as well, and I may just buy one and use it to pattern to build my models after.

Anyhow, nice job. I'm looking forward to the conclusion of this project!

Donnell

modelsof1900 Wrote:@Donell,
sorry, no more steps for finishing.
I must finish my 5-car gondola project and now before starting a new one all laying projects must be finished. The two V&T models are parts of these and I think that I can close all them in this year yet.
However I'm in planing for next rebuild allready - and I think that this will be a greater project again. More at later time.
Very nice modeling...Jerry