No. 80 bits - good source?
I have a cheap pin vise and a set of bits - one per size from No. 61 to 80.  No. 80's are a pretty common size for grab irons, and inevitably, I've snapped the end off my only No. 80 bit.  Any good source out there that only sells specific sizes rather than an identical one-per-size set (and doesn't demand an arm and a leg to ship them)?
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
I used to get mine from the local machine shop at a decent price (around a buck) but they closed their doors. Haven't needed any for a while so I haven't tracked down a new source. Best of luck.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
I'v always had good luck with Micro-Mark:
https://www.micromark.com/No-80-Drill-Bi...zbEALw_wcB
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I saw MicroMark and almost placed an order until I saw the shipping price - which was ridiculous.  Hence my request for other sources. May have to bite the bullet.
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
Todd, here is a lot of 10 at a reasonable price but hurry it is a clearance 
https://widgetsupply.com/60443263217/che...&locale=en
Charlie
Once again, you are a fountain of knowledge!  Order placed!  Many thanks.  Great deal.
I'd be a bit leery about widgetsupply

as the price for 10 drill bits is ridiculously low - my guess is that they're of very low quality.  I recently picked-up a package of 12 #79s (#80s  seem to break instantly when I merely glance at them), but the total cost was in the high twenties if I recall correctly.  That's roughly the same price at my former source for small drill bits.

In the past, I had bought small drill bits at a now-long-gone hobbyshop, and #79s & #80s were three bucks and change for just one.

I currently buy small drill bits at E.M. Precise Tool Ltd., in Stoney Creek, Ontario...about a 15 minute drive from here.  While they're fairly pricey, they are well-made (from Japan) and stand-up well.

Wayne
(08-12-2022, 06:14 PM)TMo Wrote: I have a cheap pin vise and a set of bits - one per size from No. 61 to 80.  No. 80's are a pretty common size for grab irons, and inevitably, I've snapped the end off my only No. 80 bit.  Any good source out there that only sells specific sizes rather than an identical one-per-size set (and doesn't demand an arm and a leg to ship them)?

If you have a LHS I would check with them. I buy all my drill bits from my LHS. I can get individual bits in any size I want and as many as I want. A good bonus is they give them to me in small containers, so I can mark the sizes on the outside. Glenn
Well, we're going to see how long the clearance lot from Widget Supply hold up. Breakage and inventory reports until the last one gives up the ghost. Maybe they'll suck, but at the cost (and a decent shipping cost), I'm willing to give them a try.

I will get on a soapbox here and decry the loss of brick and mortar hobby shops. Ordering online and paying exorbitant shipping for a very small and light item is something we've all gotten used to. Unfortunately, the golden goose has flown the coop. I think about days of my youth wandering around Stroudsburg, PA after being dropped off at my grandmother's apartment for the day. I could drop by the hobby store, a used book store, several department stores, a stamp and coin store, a music store, get my hair cut (which was probably the real reason I got dropped off) all in about 6 blocks. All gone today. Amazon, Walmart, Google. Not the same.
As Wayne told,
buy this tiny drill bits per dozen or more. They are prone to break because of their tininess. And clamp them into the drill chuck only at the exreme end. They are long, but they also can flexing better and not breaking.

And wear eye protection when drilling.

Lutz
(08-15-2022, 07:20 AM)Schraddel Wrote: As Wayne told,
buy this tiny drill bits per dozen or more. They are prone to break because of their tininess. And clamp them into the drill chuck only at the exreme end. They are long, but they also can flexing better and not breaking.

Lutz
Used to buy numbered bits by the boxes for drilling circuit boards. They were carbide and would stay sharp where other's wouldn't. Big issue is that they all had 1/8" shanks and would fit in a Dremel and they would frequently break right where they shank changed sizes if the tool wasn't fixed in Dremel drill press. Beware of those for anything other than drilling PC boards.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
(08-15-2022, 07:20 AM)Schraddel Wrote: As Wayne told,

Lutz

Lutz, thanks for the tip on leaving them long. That makes sense. I chuck them short and break them often. Price paid doesn't seem to make them last any longer. 
Charlie
NEVER clamp the flutes of a drill bit under the jaws of the chuck. The pressure on the bit won't be even. If you use the small (60-80) drill bits in a Dremel, or other such tool, be resigned to the fact you will probably break bits. It can be done and I have done it, but... If a Dremel mounted bit grabs the material being drilled, there is a good chance something is going to go awry and it won't be the drill. I almost always use a pin vise for the smallest bits. It is slow, you can see the bit flexing, stop and readjust. You won't have that opportunity using a Dremel and I have two of them. Glenn
(08-15-2022, 08:50 AM)ezdays Wrote: Used to buy numbered bits by the boxes for drilling circuit boards. They were carbide and would stay sharp where other's wouldn't. Big issue is that they all had 1/8" shanks and would fit in a Dremel and they would frequently break right where they shank changed sizes if the tool wasn't fixed in Dremel drill press. Beware of those for anything other than drilling PC boards.

Don,

as you said, these type of drill bit is only for machine use. Meaning they are chucked in a drill which is mounted onto a drill press:

[Image: dsc06077g7ysx.jpg]
So it is warranted the forces during the drilling process will take effect only vertical. Then they last and you are able to drill into other materials than circuit boards. But remember they are for the fine job.

Attempts of drilling with these bits chucked in a handheld machine will destroy them dependable. Main cause is canting and because of the very short lenght of the actual drill bit and in context that the hard carbide is not flexible, they going for flying around your ears.

Lutz
(08-16-2022, 08:21 AM)Schraddel Wrote: Don,

as you said, these type of drill bit is only for machine use. Meaning they are chucked in a drill which is mounted onto a drill press:

Lutz

We had a Dremel drill press that would lock in a Dremel tool so they could drill hundreds of holes without losing a bit. Then when it came assembly time they might find a hole they missed and tried to drill it out holding the Dremel tool..... they had about a 20% success rate doing that Icon_e_surprised Some of the boards we made were far too large to use the small drill press on (24" x 36"), and they'd try to chuck a small bit into the large press.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD