All you Amazon shoppers...
Just saw a new (to me anyway) attempt at a scam.  Got an e-mail supposedly from Amazon saying I needed to sign in.  Interestingly enough a half hour earlier I had received an e-mail from Amazon telling me my order had shipped. 

The clue?  The bogus sender was amazon with a lower case.  If I had not had an e-mail from the real Amazon I might not have noticed it.

Beware!!! They are out to get you!

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Tom,
I'm surprised there weren't more mistakes, but you are correct that they are out to get us. Everyone needs to be vigilant and report any attempts to spoof/spam/scam. I've always make sure to show my wife any attempts we receive. It's too bad the government thinks they are doing things, more important, than protecting their citizens. Glenn
Got several spam emails lately, a couple from Amazon for being such a loyal customer all I needed to do was take a survey and I would get a free something or other. Can't remember, but it might have been a gift card. The giveaway there is that I haven't used my account there in years, Pat has a Prime account and does my Amazon buying. The other giveaway other than the poor grammar, is the link address, not Amazon.

The other ones were from places like Target and Home Depot. Same garbage, and no, they are not giving things away, that's the first clue....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I haven't had any from Amazon, but there are a lot of others. My filter picks up about half of them.
One giveaway is weird spacing/respelling of the source name or the topic. My email shows a bit of the message which is often unrelated to the title.
I can position my cursor over the from name and see a source ID. This gives me a good idea how suspect the mail is.

Is there a way on an iPad to check this? I think if I touch the name, the email will open.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
(06-23-2023, 05:55 AM)ezdays Wrote: Got several spam emails lately, a couple from Amazon for being such a loyal customer all I needed to do was take a survey and I would get a free something or other. Can't remember, but it might have been a gift card. The giveaway there is that I haven't used my account there in years, Pat has a Prime account and does my Amazon buying. The other giveaway other than the poor grammar, is the link address, not Amazon.

The other ones were from places like Target and Home Depot. Same garbage, and no, they are not giving things away, that's the first clue....

I got the same one as Don did......  It was a gift card....

Always  always ALWAYS.....  Check the destination link!

Move your pointer (hover) over the "click here" link, box, button... whatever.....
The link will appear in a box somewhere and you have to really make sure the link is a good one.
If it seems too long in length, it's a fake.

in this case, if it doesn't say  -- www . amazon . com --   it's a fake!
One I saw recently was:  www . amason . com  ----  Crafty darn people!!!!

I'm getting about 5 a day either for some AARP surveys or some other gift cards.   I block as many as I feel like at the time, but it never ends  Sad

I would really hate to see anyone here get hacked.  and yeah, I've been "got" twice, once at home and once at work.
The only good part about work is; I clicked the fake link 2 weeks after the big boss clicked a bad link, so they couldn't say anything.....

Please, everyone, be careful...
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
One other thing......

www . ght.amazon.com  is NOT a good link!!!!

Some of these idoits put junk ahead of a supposedly real domain name.......

www.ww2.bigblue.com  is a potential bad bad link.......  the ww2 looks authentic because there are legitimate links:  ww2 or www2 
Ex.: ww2.anywhere.com
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Why would anyone use Amazon or any of the other sites like it? I never have used any of them and don't have a hard time finding/getting whatever I need.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I get all kinds of crap like that in the spam filter don't recall any getting past it lately, just hit delete and go on .
Jim
(06-26-2023, 06:46 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Why would anyone use Amazon or any of the other sites like it? I never have used any of them and don't have a hard time finding/getting whatever I need.

Wanted a video doorbell, tired of solicitors, and found what I wanted at Home Depot. So far so good until I needed an extra chime. No local stores carry it including HD, so my choice was order one from the manufacturer or from Amazon. I placed my order at the manufacturer's website. When it arrived two days later, guess what, it was shipped from a local Amazon warehouse. I'd be 100% brick and mortar if I could, but those days are long gone. I'm so tired of getting email, "20% discount... if you order whatever we're selling (chicken, hamburgers, tacos...), using our app". I do not want to use my phone for your app, so I'll go elsewhere thank you.

And yeah, like Jim, a spam filter helps, but there's always a new URL to get around it.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD