How much should I spend on a older IHC 2-8-2?
IHC 2-8-2 Looks new, has original box (that peachy color)

[Image: m9806.jpg]

Was there anything wrong with these guys? Can the running gear be replaced with an alternative if anything happens?
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
If it is new in box rather than used, I can't see giving more than 40-45$. They were a decent value, ran well, but were a little spartan on details. My main hangup is the deep flanges that won't work on code 70.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Are you planning on upgrading the motor or detailing? The stock motors have a little flywheel attached and seem to run pretty well, but I replaced one with a can motor...another stalled project...but it did improve slow speed running somewhat. Look like good starting places for detailing work.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
If I did upgrade the motor I wouldn't know what motor to go with, I never 'played' with a steamer before so working on it would be new to me
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
I bought a "slightly" used IHC 2-8-0 a few years ago for about $50.00USD.(ref:88's Power Roster). It sat on the shelf for a couple years after. When I decided to run it, I pulled it out of the box, on the tracks and it ran great. It sat(Didn't move) on the Xmas layout, for the summer in an enclosed porch, When it was time for it to run it for the holiday season, I applied power, and the thing took off with out me nudging it. After a couple of circuits it did start slowing down. But a couple of drops of LaBelle on the running gear and it was fine.
I guess what I'm saying is, they are worth the price.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
they are very well running locos and are very reliable,but as most have already said.they are pretty spartan on applied details and most of the details on it are cast on.so IMHO they look kinda toy like but with a little work and a few bucks in details they make very nice locos Thumbsup --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
I should point out these IHC locomotives filled a void in the hobby during the 1980s and early 1990s. Back then, the Bachmann steamers were all pancake motors and ran poorly, and the next step up was probably Mantua in the 100$ range. The IHC locomotives could be picked up new on special for about 40-50 bucks, ran great, and were detailed enough that budget-minded railroaders could have a steam roster as opposed to a roster of Athearn blue box diesels.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
tomustang Wrote:IHC 2-8-2 Looks new, has original box (that peachy color)

[Image: m9806.jpg]

Was there anything wrong with these guys? Can the running gear be replaced with an alternative if anything happens?

Only issue I saw with them that hasn't been mentioned is most have deeper than RP25 flanges. Since I run code 70 and smaller rail (except on the Christmas layouts), the flanges won't cut it. The flanges will probably be OK on code 83, but I can't promise. I bought my first code 83 track yesterday for a temporary layout. I avoid IHC locomotives unless I can check in person that the flanges are RP25 (easy to spot the difference).

Since the bankruptcy of Mehano (who made most IHC models in recent years), I'm not sure if IHC will have any new items to sell. I hope so - they are a good source of easily-bashed, inexpensive structures. I also like their "Old Time" cars, especially in kit form. Again, the cars were a good starting point for bashing and improving.

my thoughts, your choices
...modeling foggy coastal Oregon, where it's always 1900...
Fred W
Chief Engineer, Master Mechanic, wiper, sweeper, and jack of all trades for...
Picture Gorge and Western Railway - none more picturesque!
Port Orford & Elk River Railway & Navigation Co - Home of the Tall Cedars
Quote:Since the bankruptcy of Mehano (who made most IHC models in recent years), I'm not sure if IHC will have any new items to sell. I hope so - they are a good source of easily-bashed, inexpensive structures. I also like their "Old Time" cars, especially in kit form. Again, the cars were a good starting point for bashing and improving.

Ditto on their work train stuff & old-timer equipment. Many of the shorty cars come with a solid cast-metal underframe. Not as detailed as an mdc, but still brings the needed weight to the party.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!