Poll: Did you stop because:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
You've lost interest in MRR, but you plan on coming back
12.50%
3 12.50%
You're really not sure this is the hobby for you
0%
0 0%
You're frustrated because your sources are drying up and you can't find what you want
0%
0 0%
You hit a stumbling block and stopped until you can solve it
12.50%
3 12.50%
Something else has come up to take away your spare time
37.50%
9 37.50%
You're engaged with a different hobby right now
8.33%
2 8.33%
You've moved and there's no room for a layout
4.17%
1 4.17%
Something or someone else has taken over you layout space
4.17%
1 4.17%
It's too expensive and you can't afford to continue
4.17%
1 4.17%
Your mate gave you an ultimatum to stop
0%
0 0%
Some other reason not listed here
16.67%
4 16.67%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Burn out
Just a question regarding everyone's dedication to the hobby. Do you ever get what I'd call, "burn out"? That being when you loose interest in anything that you've done or need to do with your layout. Or have you gotten away from the hobby for other reasons at times, sometimes not touching your layout for a year or better. I'll leave this poll open, and you can check multiple things in the poll and comment as you would like, this is a topic for discussion.

I'm just curious, some folks go missing from Big Blue at times and come back, some never do. A few keep in touch but say they're too busy to do any modeling. So I ask, have you ever been burned out to where you've left the hobby, even if you've come back to it later?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Don
     The answer is yes. I have had several periods where I lost interest, even to the point once where I started selling items once (I came to my senses in time).

For truly dedicated hobbyist's It too shall pass and back to the hobby we go 

Charlie
(02-01-2024, 09:08 AM)Charlie B Wrote: Don
     The answer is yes. I have had several periods where I lost interest, even to the point once where I started selling items once (I came to my senses in time).

For truly dedicated hobbyist's It too shall pass and back to the hobby we go 

Charlie

I think we all have, feel free to post in the poll I set up. I will keep it open until it becomes a non-event. Thanks....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
All hobbies are conducted primarily on spare time and in spare space. When you don't have either, you won't work on your particular hobby.

If I think about my life in model railroading, my free time as a kid evaporated with the onslaught of homework, after-school activities, part time jobs and girls (not necessarily in that order). I got back into it when I bought our first house, there was free space in the basement, and we had no children yet. Kids came, hobby abandoned until they were old enough to express and interest. Sold that house (trashed that unfinished layout) and built another house and (after 7 years of working on the house and landscape) started a new layout. Kids after-school activities got in the way. They graduated and went to college. Free time again! Opportunity knocks. There's still a big time reduction in the spring when I'm outside mulching, pulling weeds, golfing and mowing. But fall and winter - those are tailor made for this hobby.
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
Health issues has caused me problems with time, money and desire.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I had lost interest in the hobby but came back to it recently and have just been busy with the projects I have going on. We all hit that block in the road and eventually come back but I've also noticed friends have moved on and haven't returned because of life events. It took for me to actually find someone that shares the same interest as me to get back into the hobby and since then it's been uphill.
Matt
I can smell a steam post ten blocks away and when I do clear the tracks because the steam express will be hi ballin through
http://cambriaindiana.weebly.com/
Young kids, specifically twins, have taken away hobby time, but more importantly have taken the time in which I share my hobby with others.  I still build but spend much less time sharing what I build.  Of course, household projects sometimes divert me away for a few months, but I am never away from the hobby for more than 6 months.  

Not having an LHS anymore also plays a role.  I used to go to the LHS on a weekend when I was simply bored and needed inspiration, and at the very least pick up some details or paint or something to finish up a project.  Shopping online does not provide the same inspiration.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Right now my biggest issue is that I’m in the middle of a major cross country move, as well as running in to some stumbling blocks regarding painting skills and figuring out product availability issues for some of what I’m presently working on. I’m hoping to be back to it by the end of the year but it’s an “at home” hobby and my home time is rather limited, being on the road for 45 days at a time minimum and working 50-70 hour weeks in those days.

Basically I’m doing the best I can with what I’ve got like everyone else.
————————————————————————————
Modeling the East Broad Top as it was between 1937-1942
~Amanda
That's all you can do Amanda. Do the best that you can. Like I said, life sometimes gets in the way but it will all work out.
Matt
I can smell a steam post ten blocks away and when I do clear the tracks because the steam express will be hi ballin through
http://cambriaindiana.weebly.com/