Ralph's 2009 resloution challenge
Looking good Ralph. It looks like you made this a fun project too.
Charlie
Ralph - Beautiful work, maestro. The Hancock used to be made by somebody (in plastic IIRC), but would be an easy scratch project...check Wikipedia's entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hancock_air_whistle...shows the unit and a New Haven FL-9 with one mounted. I'm just amazed that PC painted anything a color besides black and green ! Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Ralph Wrote:I ran across that company in the link and got excited about it too. so far no date and no pricing info though. i emailed them a while ago and they said they wee having problems with China regarding production so....?
Ralph

Maybe they ought to call China and tell them to get the lead out!

OK.....That was bad.
But that FL9 sure looks good.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Bob C Wrote:The Hancock used to be made by somebody (in plastic IIRC), but would be an easy scratch project.

I tried a few attempts at fashioning a Hancock whistle and was dissatisfied with the results. In the spirit of using available materials I've carved little pieces of plastic bits from my scrap box, etc. The version I'm showing here as a possibility is made from a piece of locomotive stair step and a very small screw.

[Image: IMG_0868.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0869.jpg]

Not perfect but an approximation of the idea.....

Ralph
Yeah, scratch that idea. I went to my LHS and they did not have the horn in stock. I opted for a suggestion Bob PMed me and carved one out of some rectangular plastic stock. This photo doesn't show it very clearly but I'm happy with the results.

[Image: IMG_0893.jpg]

The other thing I needed to do was to glaze the windows of the bashed passenger coach and give some of its windows "shades" to hide the guts of the RDC frame and motor it covered. Remember that the RDC is the actual power for my new passenger train headed by a dummy FL9.

[Image: IMG_0900.jpg]

The seam is still visible where I joined two short Tyco cars to make this 85 footer and the panel for the number board on the side is obviously too long. I noticed some $9.00 passenger car shells at my LHS and might just break down and replace the bashed car with one of those.

I'm just about finished with this project. I still need to fashion some sort of "shoe" for the trucks to pick up the third rail's electricity. I have a few days left before April is over so I think I'll make it by the due date. Smile

Ralph
Here's another view...

[Image: IMG_0907.jpg]
well done, nice kitbash!
Santa Fe all the way
Greetings from Germany!
Thanks! OK, I'm finished. I created the shoe for the third rail, coloring it a red oxide after a photo I saw.

[Image: IMG_0908.jpg]

Here's the FL9 leading its commuter train through Kings Port...

[Image: IMG_0897.jpg]

Its been a fun project. I mostly run freight trains but I'll enjoy watching this passenger train roll by! Thanks again Charlie for the inspiration and to Ed for your photo of the use of putty to fill holes on a locomotive! That really got me rolling.
Ralph
Ralph....I'd never seen that paint scheme....You did a great job..!! Thumbsup

Didn't these units have those "handrail" antennas..?
Gus (LC&P).
That is a nice job Ralph.
I'll be waiting for my "McGuinness Theme" version from you with baited breath.

OK...I'm just kidding.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Steamtrains Wrote:Ralph....I'd never seen that paint scheme....You did a great job..!! Thumbsup

Didn't these units have those "handrail" antennas..?

Thanks Gus! Its the Metro transit authority scheme for commuter trains out of NY city. It was intended to increase visibility and safety. I haven't seen any photos of the FL9s with handrail antennas. I believe all of the PC's FL9s came from the New Haven.
Here's a proto photo.... <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1022957">http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1022957</a><!-- m -->

Ed....don't hold you breath too long! Goldth

Ralph