When was this SF caboose paint scheme first used?
[Image: ATH74180-450.jpg]

I have one being pulled by a 1950's SF GP7 in zebra stripes. I also have a brownish one without the logo, and I know that will fit in the 1950's. It doesn't really matter to me if the red one with the logo was used in the 1950's. But if I'll get an opportunity in the future to get a 1950's caboose for the GP7, that will be lovely. Smile
http://www.balcos.net
Michael Balcos
Hell-bent model railroader in the Philippines Smile
I'm not sure of the exact date they started using that paint scheme on their cabooses, but I think it was in the 1960's, probably at the earliest when they repainted the Gp7's & 9's from "zebra stripe" into the "cigar band" scheme or perhaps when they went from the "cigar band" scheme to the blue & yellow warbonnet scheme. I think the rail brown caboose is more correct for a zebra stripe Gp, but I may be mistaken.
Thanks, Russ. Smile Yes, it appears that the paint scheme was introduced in the 1960s as I've found some pictures of cabeese rebuilt in the 60's/70's with that paint scheme. However, I couldn't also pinpoint the exact year when it was introduced. Anyway, it's my model railroad. Wink Btw, I find the brown caboose less attractive than the red one. My brown caboose is coupled to a train headed by an Athearn Genesis F7A in the blue and yellow warbonnet freight scheme. If I find out that F7A was painted for the 60's/70's, that brown caboose is going to my Atlas GP7 with zebra stripes. Wink
http://www.balcos.net
Michael Balcos
Hell-bent model railroader in the Philippines Smile
Micheal,
That red scheme will work perfectly with the F7 in blue & yellow warbonnet. Santa Fe first came out with the blue & yellow warbonnet scheme in freight service about the time that they decided to drop passenger service and turn the passenger business over to Amtrak. Prior to that time the freight scheme for the F units was a version that was later modified to produce the cigar band scheme on the Gps and Sds. It was basically the oval with the Santa Fe cross in the center with "wings" to each side and the three stripes going vertically from the pilot over the hood and headlight assembly.