New HO member - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New HO member (/showthread.php?tid=6985)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: New HO member - Lester Perry - 08-04-2014

Catt Wrote:They call the Normal scale because N scale modelers are Normal people and we all know that Normal people are weird. Eek Nope Eek Nope

Did I mention that I model in N scale? Nope :mrgreen:

Where did you get the idea that easydays was normal?

Re: New HO member - ezdays - 08-04-2014

Lester Perry Wrote:
Catt Wrote:They call the Normal scale because N scale modelers are Normal people and we all know that Normal people are weird. Eek Nope Eek Nope

Did I mention that I model in N scale? Nope :mrgreen:

Where did you get the idea that easydays was normal?

We both go to the same shrink that's where that idea came from. Icon_lol This shrink is the only one on our Big Blue medical plan and so if he says I'm normal, we cannot get a second opinion to dispute that Nope ... 35 35
2285_ Shoot

Re: New HO member - TrainHo - 08-04-2014

Wow, so after all this great welcome I have a bit of news. I have tried for over a week to lay out some semblance of a track plan and I have had NO luck. I require at least 2 if not 3 LONG mainlines and fellas, ah hates to say it, but I let my two dollar tables outweighs my $100 imagination when it came to how much room I "thought" I had.

Long story short I won't be switching to HO but will begin from scratch with another N scale layout. And I'm telling ya it's killing me! I got my KCS locomotive in the mail today and THAT. THING. IS. BEEEUTEEEFUL!!!! I may be holding on to it but refuse to take it out of the box in case I decide not to keep it. I REALLY want to put it on the tracks just to hear it but I know better.

So, in case any Mods are reading this, any chance of changing my name to TraiNho?

Re: New HO member - Tyson Rayles - 08-04-2014

Or maybe TrainN ? Cheers

Re: New HO member - TrainHo - 08-04-2014

Oh no. I am definitely a train ho. 35

Re: New HO member - Kev1340 - 08-05-2014

Welcome aboard TrainHo (also known as TraiNho) Welcome It certainly is one of the friendliest forums I've found, so I hope you enjoy your stay.

I'm an avid N scaler myself, committed even, or perhaps should be ... I tried dabbling in HO for a while, but found it just eats up more space than I have available ...

Keep us up to date on your New venture, and don't forget the photos!

Cheers,

Kev

Re: New HO member - Catt - 08-05-2014

So Train Ho just exactly how much room do you have.With a little information we may be able to help you stay on that Horribly Oversized track. :mrgreen:

Re: New HO member - TrainHo - 08-07-2014

I have 10x13 tables. Here is a couple shot of what I have to work with.

[Image: ScreenShot2014-08-05at10742PM_zps8744a53e.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0211_zps6a6cb305.jpg]

My biggest problem is I like to run intermodal and long rolling stock. I tried to keep a minimum radius of 24" and it just doesn't work…for me. I must have along mainline and unfortunately, HO is not going to allow me to have that. I struggled entirely too much with grades and clearances.

Here is a shot of an intermodal on a 23" radius. It just didn't work for me.

[Image: imagejpg1_zpsef21cfc6.jpg]

Way too much overhang.

Re: New HO member - torikoos - 08-08-2014

Keep your HO, model your layout in N , but build a module in HO to join up with others and create that big railroad from time to time so you can run your intermodal trains in HO too.

Koos

Re: New HO member - Sumpter250 - 08-08-2014

torikoos Wrote:Keep your HO, model your layout in N , but build a module in HO to join up with others and create that big railroad from time to time so you can run your intermodal trains in HO too. Koos

"build a module in HO to join up with others" These three are 24" X 48", ( the back tables are optional, for the Narrow gauge loop.) and, are my first module set.

I now "show", the new set, which are 30" X 48", with a 24" X 48" "back module", that makes the center "one" 54" X 48".
The Narrow gauge runs on a loop below the level of the "required", standard gauge, two track mainline.
(( The module specs require the Narrow gauge to be above the Standard gauge - - - The exception was allowed, for the new module set, because I am the only member of this group still modeling Narrow Gauge.))
You would have to find a modular group, and get a copy of their "spec's", before building.
There is no greater fun, than to be able to play with your toys in public.......and, at the same time - - - be building those toys.

Re: New HO member - iis612 - 08-27-2014

TraiNHo,

Whomever gave you the impression that this was a warm and welcoming place was mistaken... Kidding... This place is awesome. Some of the best modelling skill I have seen, bar none, has been here. I have had the privilege of meeting a few of the folks here in person. I can honestly say that if not for the people here I would have walked away from this hobby many times.
Any time I have had a frustration with modelling, or just the world in general, I have been able to seek advice here. These folks here are among the most supportive I have found in any internet forum. And, as you have no doubt witnessed, we all have a playful side.

I can't wait to see more of your layout. The couple of teaser pics were nice.

Matt

Re: New HO member - Lester Perry - 08-30-2014

TrainHo Wrote:Oh no. I am definitely a train ho. 35

That is what I was thinking. I mean I am always out HOing around. A friend of mine is a retired Po lease ocifer so I could never go to being an HOPRO. :?:

Re: New HO member - TrainHo - 08-31-2014

I am definitely impressed with the site. I have, however, decided to re-pursue N scale. Mainly due to space and what I want to see on my RR.

However! I live in a 4 bedroom house, by myself, and have many rooms available for modeling. I am still in love with modeling HO and have even cleaned out a bedroom for that purpose. But, I am not gonna lie, it will be a while before I am able to start on it. I am working on a semi sort of track plan and when I am ready I will post it up. It will more than likely be in a 10x10 bedroom and be an around the room layout.

Thanks for the welcomes so far and when I get going solid on my N scale I will share!

Re: New HO member - Lester Perry - 09-01-2014

Well some folks around her say that N is Normal. I disagree, I don't have a spiffy acronym for N. Except maybe #@%$&N Nope I couldn't do N because of my eyes

Re: New HO member - Sumpter250 - 09-01-2014

Lester Perry Wrote:Nope I couldn't do N because of my eyes

Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Lester, it was building a ship model in 1:720 scale that got me to buy my Optivisor - - - - - Now, N scale is
huge 357 357 357 Cheers Cheers Wink Wink